Review: Virtual Dynamics NIte Power cord Power cord

Category: Cables

I'll cut to the chase...Some audiophiles are not ready to hear about how much difference this power cord can make in a high end audio system. I'm not kidding, the Nite power cord might just be one of the biggest upgrades I've made to my system! First off, I'm not claming to be an expert on power cords, nor have I tried a fraction of the power cords out there. I just wish to communicate what a profound difference this power cord has made on my system.

The first product I tried from Virtual Dynamics was their $125 2i power cord. This cord made a bigger improvement to the sound than any other power cord I had tried to date. I then upgraded to the Virtual Dynamic’s Audition power cord, which produced an even greater degree of enhancement. There was so much more low-level detail and tonal purity along with every other aspect of the sound being improved. Rick from Virtual Dynamics really wanted me to try his top of the line Nite power cord, even though I told him I really didn’t want to spend any more on a power cord. I was perfectly happy with the Audition power cords, one on my Accuphase 65V CD player and another on my Spectron Musician II power amp. How could a power cord have any more affect on a system than what I was already hearing? He said he’d send it anyway even if I didn’t intend on buying it. “I just want you to see what’s possible when this technology is taken to the extreme and for you to tell me your thoughts on it.” I said ok, send it. When I first received the cord I plugged into a receptacle over night but had no component hooked up to it, so it was not even close to being broken-in. The next day I plugged it into my CD player then dropped Ginger Baker’s Coward of the County into the tray and hit the play button. Before the first track was even though I had a tear running down my cheek. There is no way a power cord is supposed to make that much difference! This was not just more low-level detail and tonal purity; this was also affecting things on a Grand Scale. It was as if I had upgraded to mono blocks. The whole presentation had changed; there was awesome bass pitch, extension and control in the low frequencies. The soundstage had become more three dimensional and focused. I felt like a light had been turned on and illuminated the soundstage, I could clearly see were each instrument and musician were positioned. There was also an unmistakable transformation in the systems transparence. Notes were emerging from a much blacker background and then decaying into utter silence. The increase in dynamic shading both macro and micro were so much more convincing too, further bridging the gap between recorded and live music. Then of course was the increase in low-level detail and tonal purity. Words really do fail in trying to express what this power cord did for my system.

I had no intention of spending more money on a power cord but I don’t think Rick’s getting this one back. I believe this power cord has done more to increase my enjoyment of music than just about any other tweak. It also brought about a larger degree of improvement than upgrading my CD player from an Accuphase 65 to the 65V. After hearing this kind of improvement from a power cord I realized just how weak the weakest link in my system was. I then thought about all the audiophiles that still don’t think a power cord can make a difference and how they might not ever know just how good their system can really sound. Before you dump more money on upgrading components, try upgrading what might be the weakest link in your system first. As much as this cord sells for I believe it to be money well spent.

Associated gear
Amplifier: Spectron Musician II
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): none
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Accuphase 65V
Speakers: KSUed R645 Newform's
Cables/Interconnects: XLO sig. IC & XLO 5.1 speaker cable
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Jazz, Classical, Folk and Rock
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Virtual Dynamics Audition & Nite power cords
Type of Audition/Review: Home Audition

Similar products
XLO Type 10
Audio Magic Sorcerer and Illusion
Synergistic
gme109
Thanks, Zaikesman and Theniels, for your sharp eyes. As we all know, every now and then, these forums are used for product pimping, and you never know for sure.

Thanks also to Gary M (aka Gem109) for clarifying your post with gentlemanly candor. As mentioned above, I'm a big fan of Rick and Brett's (which I've mentioned in other threads as well). They have a great product line and go above and beyond the call of duty for their customers.
At the risk of starting yet another series of issues unrelated to sound quality but directed at personal integrity, I too am new to Audigon but not to the pursuit of audio excellence. I purchased Power 1 cords to upgrade my Lindemann D680, newly purchased. I had what I thought were upgraded audiophile cords in the rest of my system and both a Furman IT 1210 voltage regulator and Furman AR 1215 Balanced Power generator, which really dropped the noise level to black. HOWEVER, I was so impressed with the Power 1 cords, I purchased a NITE cord for the audio portion of the Lindemann (two separate power supplies), a NITE cord for the PASS LABS X-1, and an Audition cord for the Krell Reference phono preamp (budgets do exist). While they are still "burning in" -- 200 hours is standard, they have proven to be an improvement over the very fine Power 1 cord AND a substantial improvement in riding my system of an "electronic haze" that I thought was pretty much on the recordings. Gone is the edgy harshness, found is a wider, deeper soundstage and an effortless, flowing, believable musical presentation -- you are much, much closer to "there." The background is not black, it is not even present in the same sense of a live performance. Since the Lindemann is also fairly new, I found this improvement on both CD/HDCD/SACD and vinyl playback on recordings that I am very familiar with. I have a new found respect for recording engineers and much admiration for Virtual Dynamics. I used the "extra" Power 1 on my Sony DVP 9000 es, and the DVP playback on my screen improved in color saturation and tint/hue. The only reason I am taking the time to write this is for others to consider them, as I appreciate the information on this forum and can try things for myself. But it is nice to limit the field so that my "trials" don't always deadend in disappointment. For those how may find a discrepancy between my rating and this comment, I mistakenly keyed in Power 3 rather than Power 1, believing Power 3 was "higher" than 1, rather than being lower.
Hello gentleman,

It is not funny how we distrust everyone anymore. Yes, this is my first time on this site with a review. My equipment list is:
Onkyo S939
Proceed AVP
PS Audio power director 4.7
Pass X3 and X350
Legacy Audio Focus 20/20
power cords 1 VD nite/ 1 Elrod EPS3/ 1 EG KG/ 1 EG Fatman K and I have tried a few more cords of lesser value.
I bought the nite first and per Rick's instructions placed it on my Onkyo. Even though this piece is not that great, the nite power cord made a big difference in mainly digital harshness. It did not do a lot more that I could tell, because my system is very quiet to start with. Power conditioner with two seperate power circuits all the way to a seperate ground rod(it is worth the time and money). I could really tell the difference thru my Grado headphones and Creek headphone amp. I know that sounds crazy, but at night I listen to something easy to help relax me and after the nite power cord was fully broken-in the music was greatly improved (no harshness at all). I tried it on the other pieces with little or no change and that was the reason for the other power cords.
Jesus Lives Thru Us,