Review: Tube Research Labs M-225 mono blocks Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

I have been in this hobby for 30 years and this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review about a stereo product. Tube Research Labs has been producing some of the finest and very expensive tube equipment for well over the past 20 years. This review is about their solid state mono blocks the M-225. Each amp is very conservatively rated at 225 per channel but it sounds much more powerful than the suggested 225 per channel. In the past 30 years I have owned more gear than I would admitt. SS, tubes, you name it, I have owned from moderately priced to quite expensive amps. Some of the brands include CJ, ARC, Pass, BEL, Levison, Krell and many more. I have also listened to some ultra expensive systems $100,000+ so when I hear music I know it and when I hear crap I also know it. Usually price has very little to do with the sound.

TRL's M-225 mono blocks are very plain looking black boxes
and weight about 45 lbs each but their sound certainly isn't plain. The TRL M-225 doesn't sound like a ss or tube amp but it sounds like real music. Right out of the box I knew this was a very special amp. My wife who likes music but will only listen to one cut at a time came in for a quick listen and stayed for the entire Alison Krause CD and then we listened for about another hour. Her comment was this is the most enjoyable I have ever heard your system. The only change has been the TRL amps. Are these the best amps I have owned? Absolutely. Ever heard?
Yes they are! Why? Because my system no longer sounds hifi but sounds like real music. Anyone in the market for a great SS amp check out TRL's ss amps.

Associated gear
CJ - CT6 preamp, 9100 Modwright CDP, Salk HT3's speakers
bobheinatz

Showing 0 responses by tvad