Review: Tube Audio Design TAD-60 Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

I'll start by saying that I've been into higher-end audio for a few decades now, and quite a lot of equipment has been through my hands to this point (half the fun of this hobby). Somewhere around 12 years ago, I'd come to realize that I preferred tube amplification over solid state in terms of an overall involving presentation of the music, and ever since then have owned tube stuff (brief flirtations with various solid state devices only helped to enforce this notion).

Which brings me to the discovery of Tube Audio Design, the provider of components conceived by Paul Grzybek (of Bizzy Bee Audio fame), built to his specifications by a very reputable Chinese manufacturer, and then hand-finished by Paul in his shop located in Wheaton, IL. (His offerings are available exclusively online; detailed product info is found at http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/index.html)

The TAD-60 amplifier is built like the proverbial tank; overall appearance and heft (not to mention its specifications) in my experience indeed belie the modest asking price. With its stainless steel chassis and almost 1/2"-thick black anodized face, the relatively compact package portrays a masculine but elegant stance (also included is a lift-off stainless steel tube cage). All function controls are easily accessible from the chassis top, as are the tube bias test-points and adjustment pots (a digital voltmeter is included too).

EL34-based, the TAD-60 is rated at 60wpc in UL-mode, and 30wpc in switchable-on-the-fly triode-mode. Other standard features include adjustable input sensitivity and adjustable global feedback, adding flexibility to a host of possible preamp and speaker combinations (the input sensitivity control may also be used as a volume pot in a single-source direct input configuration).

Listening to the TAD-60 after the recommended 30 hour break-in period and beyond, the music really began to open up, and along with the TAD-150 preamp, I was experiencing just about every CD I spun in a whole new manner - I'm particular to small-ensemble jazz and female vocals - there was an in-the-room conveyence of the music that I found startling at times - present is deep, tight bass, a glorious midrange, detail, depth, and an overall natural presentation that allows hour after hour of enjoyable listening. I've found that the feedback adjustment permits a fine-tuning of balance between dynamics and warmth, and was able to "lock in" the amp to my speakers for what sounds to be a perfect sonic match (just a tad of feedback along with the triode-mode setting seems to be the magic spot in my case).

Without attempting to describe every sonic attribute I'm hearing (though I'm happy to answer any particular inquiries), suffice it to say that the TAD-60/TAD-150 combination strikes a synergy and glow that is especially musical, and is among the finest I've had the pleasure of owning. The TAD-150 has already been highly praised in at least a few user and online reviews, and I bet the TAD-60 will soon be recognized as a similar standout. If you happen to be in the market for high quality, reasonably priced, excellent-sounding gear, just take a listen for yourself, and you will hear what these components can do for music. (Paul also offers a 15-day in-home trail period.)

Note: I have no financial interest or business relationship with Paul Grzybek or Tube Audio Design.

Associated gear
Magnepan 1.6QR, California Audio Labs CL-10, Music Hall MMF-5/Goldring G1012

Similar products
Conrad Johnson MV55
Sonic Frontiers SFS-40
VTL 50/50
Golden Tube SE-40
ASL AQ-1004
Sound Quest SQ-88
ggeers222

Showing 8 responses by eagleman6722

Had my set up about four weeks. it has about 30-40 hours on it. At first I had it hooked up to an outlet through a surge protector and getting a hum or buzz but, I moved the hook up to an adjacent wall and it went away. Now for the sound. Without having another amplifier inn house to compare I will only be able to give my impressions and not a comparison.

Rest of system: TAD-150 (non-signature), Vandersteen 2CE sigs, Eastern Electric Minimax Cd

The amp appears to be broken in as of about ten hours ago. I play classic rock through it so not all the recordings are good. However, When the volume knob is at 915AM(approx), the sound really comes alive. I was listening to CCR greatest hits which has always sounded compressed through my other amps in the past. Not with the TAD-60. The soundstage and separation on that old CD was incredible. Could almost visualize John Fogerty in one spot, Guitar to the right and drums to the left. Totally unexpected result. Image does not appear to come directly from the speaker even on this old remake. Same result with Bob Seeger, Jimi Hendrix, Lynard Skynard, etc. This impression again is not a comparison but, an actual listening experience. Better recordings were even more spaced out.

Since this is my first tube amp experience, I could not characterize the sound as like CJ, Cary, or any other manufacturer. Since I went from a McCormack DNA-1 to the TAD-60, I can detect an increased richness and roundness to the sound. It basically just jumps out at you. Bass is strong, tight, and well controlled, Midrange is something that I never experienced before. Highs when the volume is sufficient has no evidence of shine or brightness. I listened about an hour at a time and at no time did I have the urge to turn up the volume to see if anything was missing.

This amp is defintely a fit for the equipment described above. Power appears to be more than adequate for the Vandersteens which are somewhat inefficient.
I cannot say whether or not it compares to amps more pricey as price is sometimes not a good indicator but, of the amps that I have had in this price range, the TAD-60 is in a totally different league. Not even a fair comparison.
The TAD-60 has a negative feedback control and a switch on the fly that moves the amp from Ultra linear to Triode. Biasing was simple and with Paul's instructions took about 15 minutes...

If you are considering a tube amp in the 60 W range need to give the TAD-60 a try.
Eagleman
Metslp, how did you choose the Shuguang tubes? I just rolled in a quad of Tung Sol reissues with excellent results. More punchy music, stronger bottom end...

Eagleman
Onotu2,

I have that set up and using an Eastern Electric Minimax CD with Amperex Navy Nos tubes. Check out the reviews. Will only set you back $900. I rolled in a quad of Tung Sol 6550 reissues. Definitely more punch and extention but, I may go after those Shuguangs...

Eagleman
What is everyone using for the one 12AX7 and two AU7 tubes? Is anyone using alll 12AX7 or do you need to replace with the same type of tubes. I just put two GT AX7 in the preamp and while I am still evaluating I think the total system performance or net change may not be evident until I replace the AU and AXs in the TAD-60...
Hi Lou,

Where did you get those U7 RCA Cleartops? From reading about them it appears to be a good fit for my speakers. Vandy 2ce sigs. I have the Groove tube in the X7 spot and it seems to be a nice improvement over the Sovtec. More punch and air...
Depends what tubes you use. I use the EH 6CA7 and the attack is very fast. This amp sounds better with every improvement that I have made. I recently bought some very thick speaker cable which opened up the amp even more. It has made the biggest difference with more air, the musical components are spread out across the room and front to back... Still has not seemed to reach its potential...