Review: Tube Audio Design TAD 150 Tube preamp

Category: Preamps

The Tube Audio Design TAD 150 Pre-amp is a reference level pre-amp that I believe will rival ANY pre-amp and ANY price.

The TAD 150 replaced a ten year old Musical Design SP-2B which was very good for its day, but the TAD 150 really did pick up where the Musical Design Piece left off.

The improvements were from top to bottom, the separation, and detail are much improved as well as this unit's ability to dig deeper in the music, and I hate to use this because it sounds so cliché, but yes, I'm hearing things that was just hinted at or simply not there at all with my previous pre-amp. The tone, accuracy, and soundstage of this unit is truly holographic and 3D. It is the most natural sounding pre-amp I have ever owned or Auditioned, but even more spectacular is it's stability it sounds so effortless, you know the types that sound either like they are trying to hard, or trying to keep up, this unit never sounds strained or harsh even at loud volumes or complex passages! No matter loud or soft this unit integrity stays in tact.

So I could go on about how quiet it is, how covenant having a remote control is and so forth but I think you catch my drift. My recommendation is to at least audition the unit, you get your money back if you somehow convince yourself that you don’t like it, but to be fair it may or may not be for everyone based on your taste, but I can almost guarantee that you would have to pay at least $5000 dollars to get anything that comes close.

Associated gear
Musical Concepts CDT-4 transport

Musical Design DAC 1A20 Platinum.

Custom built (By Bizzie Bee) S.E.T. amp using 6AS7 tubes(5W.P.C.)

Bizzie Bee Frozen interconnects throught whole system including Digital Cable.

Speaker Cables are a home brew using Radio Shack RG-58 Coax.

Speakers are Klipsch Quartets. Highly Modified with Auricaps, Goertz copper foil inductors and solen Fast cap.

Similar products
None
jswillis73

Showing 2 responses by eagleman6722

I received my TAD-150 today. Bought it from another A-Gon. Hard to review when your componenets seem to dissappear into the music and you can't find adjectives to describe what you are hearing. This unit is absolutely the most transparent preamp that I have ever heard not that I am an authority compared to some other people on this site. The music seems 3D. The soundstage is wide and deep. There is no grain to speak of. Probably the best thing that I can say is that I virtually stopped listening to the electronics and focused on the music. The all-tube design sounds very natural. I can listen at louder volumes without fatigue as the music doesn't scream at you, it just flows. I have tried a number of preamps this year. In order they are B&k pro-5, B&k pt3 series 2, Sunfire (the one you stack with the AMP), Counterpoint Sa-3, ARC SP9 MK2 with Amperex USN-CEP NOS tubes. The other preamps used except for the ARC come at you with either hardness (Sunfire), lack of detail (B&K), bass definciency (Counterpoint). The ARC with the Amperex tubes had a nice soundstage and phono section but, the TAD-150 takes it to another level. Rather than compare this preamp to others in a given price range, I would have to forget the price and compare it with units regardless of price. Keep in mind that I am using a McCormack DNA-1 non-deluxe and not modified yet. What else can I say but, I believe that I have reached the end of the preamp trail for quite a while. I will re evaluate in April after Steve McCormack modifies my DNA-1.

Rest of System...

Vandersteen 2CR Sigs ( my other end of the road piece)
Adcom GCD-600 ( will probably upgrade to SACD.
McCormack DNA-1.
Thorens 160 BC with Linn Basik Plus and Goldring 1012. IC's XLO's. Power cables- Magic Signal and Fro-Zen from Bizzy Bee....

Now I think I will work on my golf game....

Eagleman
Review #2

I have had the opportunity to live with this piece for six weeks or so. My Joe-Zen power cord and Signal cable IC's are starting to break in. Soundstage is even wider and deeper. Quality of recordings are very revealing good and bad. This unit will stay in my system for quite a while. Can't wait to upgrade my CD (Adcom GCD600) and Mod my McCormack DNA-1.

Eagleman