Review: Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus Power cord

Category: Cables

After reading the rave review of these AC cords over at Enjoy the Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0813/triode_wire_labs_power_cable.htm) I felt compelled to post a review of my own here at Audiogon.

Like many of you, I have tried a myriad of power cords over the years (brand names withheld to protect the stiff, inflexible and generally inferior and overpriced products). The bottom line is that with the purchase of my McCormack DNA-500 amp I needed a beefier cord with a 20 amp IEC to drive this monster. Pete, from TWL is a member of several audio clubs in the area and offered to make me a nice 8ga cord to try out. Well, after a few days of burn in I immediately got rid of my old cords.

This 8ga wire is made with some very special and highly flexible wire in a braided format. The connectors are pure copper. TWL burns them in for a good long while and polishes the copper tongs and applies Caig Pro Gold before shipping. A very nice touch from a manuracturer who cares about how his produict performs, and all at a very reasonable price compared to the competition.

This cord was so much better than what I was using previously that I then asked for some additional TWL cords to try on my CD player and preamp. What is really striking about them is their flexibility. I have never seen a large gauge cord that didn't threaten to break when trying to bend it to fit behind my rack. These are so flexible and easy to use. And the sound of these ... what can I say except everything sounded better than other products I have tried in the past. Yes, I had a few lying around to compare against. Tighter, more extended, better imaging and soundstaging, more musical detail and immersion ... all those good things that we are typically looking for.

Now Pete came out with his "plus" cords and offered to upgrade mine for me. I really didn't expect too much of a change from the standard 8ga to the 7 plus but boy was I surprised. It took a little more break-in but everything became just that bit better than before, and in a very musical way.

Yeah, this is a Rave Review, for sure, but I seem to be in good company. Just read the Enjoy The Music review linked above and you will ready why. I highly suggest trying them out. TWL offers a money back guarantee, and at this price how can you go wrong?

http://www.triodewirelabs.com/

Enjoy,
Bob

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
many various AC cords over the years
ptmconsulting
I also have several TWL power cords: a 12, 8 and two 7s, all in the Plus versions. I completely agree with everything that Bob says above, and I also have tried many brands of power cords in many price ranges.

I would add one more thing - that to me is the most important quality of any component - and that is the tonal and harmonic accuracy that these cords convey. It is truly compelling.
I had excellent power cords from Discrete Technology that held up against everything out there. When I got a chance to listen to The Triode Wire Labs 7+, I was shocked to hear the improvement. It was so much more quieter and natural sounding. I have had an opportunity to listen to most of what is out there. The 7+ AC cord beats every cable that I have auditioned, and by an order of magnitude.
Disclaimer: There are two parts to this review. Please read ALL of it.

Quite a while back, I tried one of Pete's "developmental" cords in my system. (I think it was an "8") It was so long ago that Pete didn't even have any TWL markings on it yet! I thought it sounded pretty good, but not enough to make a change.

Fast forward a few years... Pete developed his line to include a 7+. I asked for an "audition cord" to try out. Well, what a difference! Pete's 7+ beat out my Virtual Dynamics Master Series 2.0 LE cord by a good margin, so I bought the 7+ and happily sold my Virtual Dynamics cord (for a profit, no less!) to fund the TWL cord and have left over $$$.

I quickly put that extra money to good use (along with additional $$$) and one by one started to replace all of my cords in my system with TWL cords. I now own (2) 7+'s, (1) 8+ and a 10+. Wow! If you think one of Pete's cords makes a difference, you gotta try them throughout your system. Their effect becomes "cumulative" in sound. They not only sound great, they are a great value in a world of obnoxiously overpriced audio wire.

I am SO glad I gave Pete's TWL cords a second try. Auditioning his developmental cord didn't give his current production cords any justice. I won't give them up now!

3 thumbs up! LOL