Review: Sunfire Sunfire 300 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

For the past several years I have enjoyed my Definitive Technology BP 20s with first twin monoblocked Sumo Ploaris III amps (they would rate in the 450 Watt range under the Definitive 6 ohm load) and next with an older Spectral 100 WPC amplification. The Spectral product though by specification was vastly inferior blew the doors off of the Sumo products. Recently I had need to move my Spectral amp to another location. In this vacuum I inserted the Sunfire. I have never been more amazed! This amp again leaves the Sumos in the dust but keeps up with and in beats even the Spectral in some areas. It is nearly as fast as the Spectral far more musical and never ever under any strain clips or loses control. I have not reached the boundries of this amp. It never gets hot, looks great (wife likes it?!) and sounds great. It projects an amazingly deep, wide and tall sound stage far byond that of the Spectral. For this kind of money nothing I have ever heard aproaches it. Actually I have rarely heard far more expensive amps that compete. You cannot go wrong picking up a product like this from Bob Carver's Sunfire corporation! I have only one real complaint. The rear binding posts are plastic. I find this silly on a product of this caliber. As soon as I get a chance I plan to replace the crummy plastic posts with rugged metalic ones worthy of a really tight connection. (not one but 2 pair are required). Hope this helps!

Associated gear
Definitive Technology BP 20 speakers, Parasound HALO P3 preamp, MIT cables, and EAD CD-1000 front end.

Similar products
Sumo Andromeda, Spectral DMA-100
pt1dyno

Showing 1 response by rstone

You are correct, the Sunfire does not run warm at all and has seemingly endless power.

I auditioned a number of amps trying to satisfy the difficult appetite of my Thiel 3.6s. I've had other Bob Carver amps and while competent they don't have the resolution to go with the grunt. The TFM-35 drove these speakers fine, but just didn't have the level of detail or clarity that the Sunfire has. Admittedly, I slightly prefer the sound of the Classe CA300 and Levinson amps with the Thiels; however the Sunfire comes very (very) close. I also have had slightly better bass control from the likes of a bridged Citation 5.1 but in that case the rest of the audio spectrum just wasn't as magical as it is with the Sunfire.

As you mentioned I'm not sure that I can do any better unless I spend a ton more money - even then the differences I've noticed are extremely minor. Thanks for the review.

Associated Equipment:
Thiel 3.6 Speakers
Sunfire 300 Amplifier
Musical Fidelity A3.2cr Preamplifier
Pioneer Elite PD-54 CD Player
Monster M550i Interconnects
Monster M1.2S Speaker Cable