Review: Spica TC-60 Monitor

Category: Speakers

When my Magnepan SMGas flat wore out about six months ago, I decided it was time to try something other than planar speakers. My budget was extremely limited, however, so whatever I chose had to be under $500; I realized finding a pair of dynamic speakers that could satisfy an ear tuned to Maggies was going to be extremely difficult at that price point, but I also knew it was going to be fun trying!

After some research, it appeared that a time and phase coherent monitor would bring me closest to the type of sound I wanted: open and airy in the Magnepan tradition, but with a more focused soundstage and depth. It would also allow me to better integrate a subwoofer at a later time to provide the extension I wanted when funds allowed. Home theater was not a factor in the decision: this was strictly for two-channel listening.

For comparison, I checked out offerings by B&W, Wharfdale, and KEF at some local dealers, and was struck by how painfully bright and forward they sounded to me (no doubt a result of years with a quasi-ribbon tweeter). I then came across some Vandersteen 1Cs; they were as close as I'd heard to what I was looking for, but were a touch pricey and the wife was not a fan. Finally, I found these TC-60s offered for the right price on ebay. I had never heard Spicas, but based on reviews I read I knew they possessed at least the basic characteristics I was seeking, and they were frequently mentioned as being similar to Vandersteens. Plus, the wife gave them the thumbs up with their walnut finish. I took a chance and bought them, and haven't regretted the decision once.

I listen to a variety of music, but generally lean towards jazz and blues with a smattering of classic (read: psychedelic) rock thrown in. The Spicas with the Jolida simply disappear into the background, leaving me with an expansive soundstage and, on the right recordings, distinctive placement of instruments and microphones on a three-dimensional stage. It took a lot of time to place them correctly--far apart and very toed-in, but the result is truly satisfying on its own. The system is almost mind-boggling at the price point with the addition of an inexpensive Velodyne sub recently. Keep the power down and the crossover just under 100hz so as not to overtake the Spica's inherent magic, and I'm happier than I ever was with the Maggies.

On the downside, the Spicas get congested quickly as the power goes up, so they're better for small rooms that don't need excessive volume. There's nearly nothing under about 60hz and the highs begin to roll off over 13khz (though I find this pleasing rather than a drawback--some will disagree). They're finicky to set up, and of course the company is long gone (though TC-60 drivers are still available I'm told, unlike those for the TC-50/Angelus). Bottom line, if you can find a pair for $350-400, grab 'em. They're a blast for the price.

Associated gear
Jolida 1501 hybrid integrated amp
Cambridge Audio D500 CD player
Velodyne CHT-8 powered subwoofer

Similar products
Closest to these, Magneplanar SMGa, B&W monitors, Mission monitors
andrew_kansascity
Hi Andrew,

I first bought used TC-50's in the early 90's. They sounded great, but the fit and finish was very poor. Around 96 or 97, I bought the TC-60's as a demo for $400 and they are still my main speaker today. As with much of my equipment, I could probably get almost all of my original purchase price for them today. I currently have the following set up:

MusicHall MMF5 turntable
MusicHall MMF-25 cd player
C-J pv10a preamp
Musical Fidelity 3Acr pwr amp (Spica's)
Audio Concept Sub One's stereo subwoofer powered by a Carver tcf-15 power amp.

The Spica's are great for pop, jazz, blues and especially female vocals. I agree they get a bit congested at to high of a volume, but I don't listen that loud anyway. The Musical Fidelity amp is much cleaner than the Hafler it replaced and I can play louder, but still with in limits.

In summary, the Spica's are still a very satisfying speaker for me and highly recomended to someone looking for a musically satisfying speaker on a budget.

Paul
I recently purchased a NEW pair of Spica TC-60s from Audio Advisor (Sep '03) for $599.

Tried them with Croft Charisma pre/Audio Mirror 40w monos; too dark and soft.

Picked up a Linn Majik w/mm phono here on Audiogon - BINGO!!

A perfect match. The Majik's music-making capabilities are extremely good, and it provides just enough snap and liveliness to balance the TC-60's laid-back sound.

I like them better than a pair of Audio Note Js, and that's saying something!

The TC-60 coupled with the Linn Majik gets my highest recommendation - amazing musicality for a very modest sum!!

Associated Equipment:

Audio Note TT1/SME 309/Clearaudio Virtuoso w/ Cardas Neutral Ref cables (great combo)

Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD/CD player w/ Harm Tech Truthlink cables (very good sound thru all formats)

Magnum Dynalab FT101A tuner w/ Discovery Signature cables
(sounds excellent thru the Majik)

Flatline Gold MKII speaker cables.
I do not believe the Spicas are truly time and phase coherent. They use a different higher order crossover function for both the woofer and tweeter. Neither is first order.

This in itself does not invalidate them as a good choice or a bargain necessarily, imo, but it seems to be a common misconception.