Review: Space-tech-labs Basic Preamp, &2 tube amps Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

Hello to all of you out there in audio heaven. This review is for the products that Albert from Space-Tech-Labs builds himself and sells.
While I have been visiting this site for about two years and have bought a few things from some of you out there I continue to be amazed at the systems some of you have put together. The money that is involved is unbelievable and I thought that I would never be able to put together a high end 2 channel audio system.
So my quest began...one day I decided that it was going to be solid state and the next day it was tubes; this went on for quite some time until I found a website called Space Tech Labs. The gentleman's name is Albert. He builds everything from scratch and designs his products to match the other pieces of equipment that will be used in conjunction with his, ex: speakers, cd player, room size and also tastes of music just to mention a few.
I decided to purchase his basic pre-amp but I had dual outputs added, a small 1 1/2 watt amp and a hybrid 100 watt/channel amp. Throughout my journey I contacted Albert several times seeking recommendations and his personal opinion. Never did he make me feel as if I were insignificant (keeping in mind I was not ordering his most expensive equipment), a bother or annoying. He constantly kept me updated on the status of the amps he was building for me, asked about my other audio equipment and my musical preferences. Simply saying I was excited doesn't begin to cover how I felt. When the Fed-Ex man came to the house it was like being a child on Christmas morning (and I was not disappointed in the least)!!!!
Unfortunately many audio consumers feel they MUST buy the high priced, well known name brand equipment in an effort to achieve "audio nirvana". My recommendation, don't be afraid to try the road less traveled, seek out those smaller suppliers-you could be very surprised. Although name brand suppliers have built up their reputation how many can say they custom build your equipment to be compatible with what you already have, how many even care what your musical preferences are????
Visit Albert's site at www.Space-Tech-Lab.com to see what he has to offer. His workmanship is impeccable and the sound is superb. He has a wide variety of products available, certainly some much more expensive than the ones I purchased. However, I feel I have conquered the audio mountain and achieved what I was looking for even at an affordable cost, leaving me more money to spend on other things.
In closing, I would like to thank the following 2 people: Albert & my wife (who has been very supportive through this entire process), without the 2 of them none of this would have happened. My wife looks forward to listening to the music just as much as I do so together we can enjoy countless hours of musical bliss. If anyone would like to discuss this with me or would like pictures I would be more than happy to oblige.
riley804

Showing 1 response by cjr888

Appreciate your comments, and outside of those who have posted before, if there are any other STL owners out there, please, please post your comments - it will benefit Albert and everyone else here.

I'm on the other side of the continent and still have not purchased one of Albert's products, but for the last year or year and a half have frequented his site and exchanged many an email back and forth with Albert, but still haven't 'taken the plunge' and given one of his products a try despite the many a happy customer that do exist, though obviously a much smaller bunch than those that crowd around other products.

I've been tempted by many of his products, whether its a phono stage, preamplifier, amplifier, or the thing of Albert's that really, really tempts me is Albert's DAC designs..

I have a feeling that whether you were putting together an budget system or extremely high end system, that you'll find some amazing magic in his work -- at least this is what everyone who has commented in the past has found. Apparently his absolutely cheapest preamplifier, I believe the one you have, people have put up against some rather pricey units and felt that it squashed them...

Only problem with that sort of performance is it makes people wonder about every unit above that one....and then your budget system is no longer at the bottom end of the chain....but then again, maybe your happiness with your system has increased as well as your new budget.

One thing I would appreciate -- whether its a comparison to what you were listening on before, a comment of what speakers you're matching them to, or if you get a chance to do comparisons to anytihng else -- please post anything you can... If this is a 'first system' per se, and you don't think its warranted to post SystemA vs. SystemB, any descriptions simply in how music has changed for you, or how the system is different from what you've heard elsewhere is appreciated.. Based on what I can surmise of your listening tastes from other threads, this provides me additional confidence is giving one of his products a shot...

Also, did you buy the 1.5w amplifier to mate to speakers or headphones? If speakers, I would _love_ to hear your thoughts...

I'm hopefully making a nice little vacation to the Northwest this summer, and it will without a doubt include a visit to Albert to stop in and say Hello, hear some toys, and potentially scrap my luggage limit for clothes to be replaced by some beautiful equipment. :-)