Review: Sony SC-D777es CD Player

Category: Digital

People - if you want to upgrade the true SOUND of what comes out of your system, you must try an SACD player. I had read about the format and was prepared for it to sound good through my system, but I freaked out the first time I put on an SACD through this player. I don't know how this unit stacks up against other SACD players, but believe me -I have conducted numerous back to back tests of the same albums with standard CD and SACD and there is simply no comparison - the SACD format delivers far greater detail, soundstaging, atmosphere and 'live' feel. If you are running a standard CD player in your system, no matter how good it is, the technological limitations of the recording format are selling short the sound you are experiencing - you gotta try this format before you think about upgrading anything else.

* disclosure of interest: I have no affiliation with Sony, Philips or anyone else involved in SACD - I'm just a guy who likes listening to music

For the record:

What are your musical tastes? recordings you use for testing? 1960s MILES DAVIS, BACH PIANO RECORDINGS, ELECTRONIC MUSIC, MARVIN GAYE

What are the most important aspects of sound for you?
What is the worst thing a system could do to turn you off? TOO BRIGHT, UNMUSICAL, TIRING TO LISTEN TO

How long has this piece been in your system? 1 MONTH
What did this component replace? REGA PLANET 2000
How did the sound change with this addition? SEE ABOVE - INCREDIBLE CHANGE

What are some of its strengths? THE SOUND
What are some of its weaknesses? SYSTEM RUNS SLOW - LOADING ETC
If money was no object, would you still own this? YEP (EVEN ABOVE THE SCD-1 AS I LIKE THE LOOKS BETTER!

Associated gear
Magnepan 1.6QRs, Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp, Sunfire Tube Preamp, Sunfire True subwoofer

Similar products
None - used standard CD players in the past
adammikk

Showing 1 response by czbbcl

I could not agree more SACD is simply amazing. I have a SCD-1 and I am completely amazed everytime I play SACD's.