Review: Sony DVP-SR500H CD Player

Category: Digital

This is a review of the sony DVP-SR500H dvd player used strictly as a cd player.

As most audiophiles know the sony playstation one model number SCPH-1001 is regarded as a budget cd player that can compete with models up to the $500 range. It is also listed as a class C component in the highly revered stereophile magazine. I am here to tell you i have discovered a modern day replacement that can equal and better it, and it costs just $50.

Before i get on with the review i will tell you that my favorite music to listen to is jazz. I agree with the stereophile philosophy that the sins of stereo gear should be of omission rather than commission, which is to say that i prefer a neutral and pure sound. I don't like systems that perform excellent in one area and poor in other areas. I look for a well balanced sound.

I picked out 3 cd's that i am going to use as my reference discs.:

1. Cassandra Wilson, New moon daughter, Track 12 Harvest moon.
2. Dave Holland Quartet, Conference of the birds, Track 2 Q & A.
3. Bruce Springsteen, The wild, the innocent & the E Street Shuffle, Track 2 Sandy.

I compared both sony cd players , without tweeks and with stock power cords. On the Cassandra Wilson selection, Harvest moon, i had a hard time differentiating the 2 players, however the sony playstation seemed to have a more seductive, sweeter, and refined sound and possibly slightly rounder imaging.

On the Dave holland selection it was no contest. The sony dvd player had a more harmonically complete sound with a little less grain. It was also better at conveying musical texture and seemed to also have a smoother sound.

The Bruce Springsteen selection entitled "sandy", had better stability and wider imaging than the sony playstation.

At this point , after living with the sony DVP-SR500H for a period of 3 weeks , i can unequivocally say that i have dismissed the legend sony playstation and declared the Sony DVP-SR500H the new budget player to beat. As far as i can tell the dvd player only commits the sin of omission in the frequency extremes. But i am still saving my paper route money for the Rega Appollo. :)

Associated gear
Arcam av50 integrated amplifier
Madisound studio kit speakers
Atacama speaker stands
Virtue audio nirvana interconnect
Tara Labs prism reference power cord
Monster xphp speaker cable terminated with dayton audio bfa connectors

Similar products
sony playstation one SCPH-1001
honda6