Review: Sony CDP-707esd CD Player

Category: Digital

#1 Musical tastes: Oldies, and Jazz.
#2 Best aspects of sound: Bass control, and spaciousness.
#3 What turns me off: Poor bass control.
#4 How long in system: 1 month.
#5 What it replaced: Nothing.
#6 How the sound changed: Deeper, and bigger bass.
#7 Strengths: Bass (deep).
#8 Weaknesses: Still needs a DAC.
#9 If money was no object: I would buy a Sony xa7es.

I still need a DAC, but still, this is comparable to all of the other Sony ES flagship models. You can go to audio review, and read the reviews on the Sony X77ES, and the Sony X779ES. They are easily compared to the newer models, and found with equal quality. You have to read the reviews, to see that what I am saying is backed up by others. The bass is huge, and the dynamics are good, with very rich, accurate sound. I am going to get a good theta DAC, but I will not know how it changes, till I get it, but I will write a review afterwards.
Thx, Greg

Associated gear
Aragon amp, Bryston pre, and Klipsch speakers.

Similar products
Sony xa7es
greggie

Showing 1 response by melvina10001

I had a Sony 707es cd player I bought new back in 1988??, never forget when I first bought it I had a problem with it reading discs so I had to take it back and they sent it back to sony to get the laser replaced, never thought that would happen on a new expensive player like that. I kept it all these years until now and just recently sold it, it was mint condition with original manual and remote, didnt use it much but I remember the sound and build quality being nothing short of spetacular!!!, sold it for $500 and feel never should of sold it but I have to admit I also bought a Sony X339es cd player new back in the day as well which I still have and I ended up keeping the 339 vs the 707, thought it sounded better???!!, I am using the 339 directly into 2 Sony N55es amps bridged on a pair of Polk RTIA7's and the sound to me is as good maybe as I have heard!!!.....--Ron