Review: Shanling SCD-T200 CD Player

Category: Digital

I just got this in and hooked up. I'll give it a few hundred hours to break in before commenting on its sound, but I'll describe the ergonomics and build quality while my initial impressions are still fresh in my mind.

Pros:
This thing is built like a tank. The casing looks like it could stop a bullet. The remote is sturdy as well. The remote also allows you to mute the output which is coming in handy for on-the-fly cable swapping
It's a beautiful piece of industrial art, especially when its running and glowing in the dark.
Packaging is top notch, and the owner's manual covers operations well.
Nice sturdy looking power cord.
optional cone feet included.
Head phone jack with remote volume control.

Cons:
Still trying to figure out were the three cone feet attach. There are four felt feet, but no threaded hole for the three cones. Hmm... The owner's manual makes no mention.

The remote control battery cover is spring loaded. The hex screws went flying when I opened it. Also the remote is not backlit.

I played the included dual layer demo CD in my Eclipse and was not impressed with the Redbook layer. I wonder if the deck is stacked in favor of the SACD layer. I don't blame Shanling, if so. I'm sure it's a freebie to them with the SACD license.

The lettering above the unit's function buttons is in a rather faint white font that's difficult to read in the light: Impossible in dim light.

Well, that's it for now. I'll be back in a couple of weeks with a review of the sound.

Associated gear
VAC Avatar SE, Synergistic Research interconnects, Gutwire Chime Speaker Cable, JMlab Mini Utopia speakers.

Similar products
Sim audio Moon Eclipse CD Player (Redbook)
Denon DCD-1650AR and assorted Asian DVD/CD players.
Ag insider logo xs@2xduddley

Showing 2 responses by siddh

The upgrade info can be obtained by search through the Audiogon sight. "Underwoodwooly" is selling new, modified units, asserting the upgrades bring the T200 to levels heard from $10,000.00 players. Mods are via Chris Johnson, of Sonic Frontier. Check out detailed upgrade-description. I am awaiting some feedback...I am compelled to get into this unit.