Review: Rotel RA-1062 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

The RA-1062 was my first foray into "Hi-Fi." In contrast with the Yamaha receiver that had been my mainstay for fifteen years prior, the Rotel was hands down a better product. I simply had no idea what I had been missing all those years I had assumed the Yamaha was telling me the truth about my music.

I've had the Rotel for more than six months now, so I'll just cut to the short of it. What I should have bought was a Krell KAV-400xi. But I just didn't know then what I know now. Music is SUCH a subjective experience. What sounds great to me might be boring to you. If all you know about music reproduction is the usual stuff at circuit city or best buy, by all means, listen to the Rotel, it's hands down better than all the Yamaha's, Sony's or any other mainstream product.

My worst criticism of the Rotel is that it reproduces music without being musical itself. Had I never experienced that "eureka moment" myself with different equipment I simply would never have known just how far the Rotel falls short. You just can't know that from reading a review. You MUST find this for yourself with your own music. My best measure of a two channel system's strength is its ability to disappear from the room and just leave you alone with the music. Those are simply just words until you experience this for yourself. It takes going to Hi-Fi shop after Hi-Fi shop and being left alone with systems you can't possibly hope to afford as well as some you can with a few CD's(no more than ten) that you love front to back.

The Rotel NEVER leaves the room. In fact, if you're prone to listening to higher volumes, Rotel will routinely overheat and turn it's output off for you. By loud I mean putting the volume between the ten and eleven o'clock position. I've experienced this with two separate 1062's now.

My best advice to you is to gather from these reviews a list of five amps that you can actually go and audition for yourself. Five minutes with highlights of your favorite songs while being babysat by a salesman isn't good enough. Audition ALONE for no less than thirty minutes.

I hate paying for the same thing twice. That's what's going to happen to me though. Now that I've actually experienced the system I want to own for myself, the money spent on the Rotel was all but wasted.

Speaking as someone who has read God knows how many of these reviews; if you're starting to build your first real system, start with the SPEAKERS first. But DON'T buy anything until you've had that moment where the equipment disappears from the room and the music just takes you away. I'm talking goosebumps, I'm talking closed eyes. I'm talking old memories. I'm talking just plain floating in space. This should happen with record after record that you know front to back. What does that for you might not do that for me. For me, all it took was a Krell KAV-400xi and Dali Mentor 6 speakers.

Associated gear
Focal.JM.Lab 714S

Similar products
Krell KAV-400xi
cubist

Showing 0 responses by viridian