Review: Revel Performa M-20 Speaker

Category: Speakers

I bought these after a home audition to ensure they were as neutral as they seemed in-store. They are wonderful speakers and made Stereophiles 2002 "A" list. After going through every other speaker available to me I was very frustrated. The others only excelled in one area; good on female vocals but colored instruments, good for piano but smeered vocals, etc... Then I found the Revels. They do what a speaker is supposed to do: accurately reproduce what is fed them. The M20's do that with ease. They are clear and precise. My wife is amazed every time she hears them. They play everything well. The McCormack amp is a great match with them as the system is musical and not stale sounding as it was with the Adcom GFA-555II amp (which the M20's also revealed the Adcoms' grainy highs). These speakers would satisfy anyone on any budget. They are a great deal here on audiogon as used ones go for around $1200 which is a steal. I picked up the black ash version with stands for $2000.
I have had these speakers for over 6 months and still love them. I have no need to change or upgrade. They are astounding.

Associated gear
Rega Planet cd palyer; Acurus RL-11 pre-amp; McCormach DNA-125 amp; Pioneer 9500 tuner

Similar products
B&W, Linn, Monitor Audio, NHT.
sherman1125
I also own the M20. I power them with Plinius (digital source is the Meridian 508.24). Both IC and speaker cables are the astonishing Yamamura Millennium 6000 (the IC was re-terminated with the Eichmann Silver Bullets). The power cords are Acoustic Zen Krakatoa and the amazing German Physiks Pion and I use a local made unbranded power conditioner (the best I've tried)

The M20 are simply amazing. they are exceedingly clean and neutral ... but, unless other "precise" speakers they never sound dry, sterile or lacking emotion. After auditioning every speaker that was available on the market where I live (Portugal), and the choice was really a no-brainer :o)

I listen mainly to classical music and acustic Jazz. The precision of the speaker in terms on pitch and timing just make every musical phrase sound a lot more clearer, and - YES! - musical. They simply show a tremendous respect for the music ...

Warrenh,

I use the stands from Revel (with adhesive cork sheet on the top-plate). Which stands are you using? I would be interested in trying something else ...

Vermeer
Vermeer, read my review on the Sistrum Mini Monitor Platform System. Unbelievable. Those Revel stands are not happening. peace, warren
I knew Warren would weigh in on the stands from sistrum. Actually he is right about them. You will find a rather pleasant improvement in sound using these. Warren Your Ghandi approach to the threads is interesting but not as exciting as the old rapier tongued days.
A little sword play now and again to stir the old life forces is very nice! Oh! back to reality. Sistrum will make it all dynamically coherent! They are a component increase of quality..Tom