Review: Raysonic 128 CDP CD Player

Category: Digital

My motivation for posting this is only because this is a new product on the market of which folks should be aware. It was recently reviewed by 6 moons if you're interested. I purchased it as a potential replacement for my CAL Alpha/Delta.

FWIW, I listen to Classical, Jazz, and pop vocal. No head banger stuff. Sonic preferences are for neutrality in all components - so long as they are 'tube based'. :-) While I can tolerate a bit of an uptilted bass so long as its undistorted, I can't tolerate exagerated high frequencies. I require transparency and smoothness. I can tolerate a bit of roll off so long as the signal is clean and clear.

I have had the Raysonic for about 3 weeks and it has just passed its breakin phase. Initially out of the box it was very rolled in the highs and full but dull in the bass. I'm still using the factory tubes (EH's). I did try different types and it is easy to change the units tone with different brands (whats new here!)

In comparison to my Wadia (direct to an amp) the Raysonic is as full but not as tight in the bass, as smooth in the mid range, and clearly not as extended in the highs. Compared to the Wadia thru a pre amp the gap closes quite a bit but the Wadia is still tighter and more extended.

In comparison to the BAT the bass is deeper and tighter but the mids and highs in the BAT are much more open and 'airy', perhaps a bit more transparent.

In comparison to the Cal units which it replaces it is sonically fuller in over-all tone, not as forward, and much smoother. I can't think of a single issue in which I prefer the Cal units, which have been long time favorites of mine in their price range.

And, in comparison to all three units, the Raysonic seems to have a greater dynamic range. I'm not talking speed, nor am I talking about absolute low or high frequency extension, I'm referring to the difference in the spread between the quietest and loudest sound.

I suspect this unit would have a high level of appeal not only to tubophiles, but to SS folks who want to avoid some of the more obnoxious effects of digital done wrong.

I'm keeping it!

Associated gear
Primaluna 3/5 pre-amp/amp
Tyler Linbrook Signature Systems Speakers

Similar products
Wadia 302
Bat DK5
CAL Alpha/Delta
newbee

Showing 2 responses by 13d3tube

I asked a 6Moons reviewer whether an NOS machine would not be better than the oversampling Raysonic.
Having read a number of different reviews of NOS and OS machines, I began to have the impression that NOS were perhaps SET-like (excellent on timing, but a little lean) while OS were more push-pull-like (not so good on timing and a little overblown); but he told me that it all depends how the design is implemented.

Indeed, according to this reviewer, the Raysonic is very close in sound to the NOS Zanden. If that is so, it should be quite something!

He also points out that the Raysonic is a top loader, so that eliminates potential drawer issues.

See also http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=digital&m=123009
for another positive review.

However, there is a strong rejection of the principle of ASCR which this asylum member claims is used by the Raysonic, here,
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/123552.html

"It is yet another CD source that uses asynchronous sample-rate conversion ("24b/96khz upsampling")- One feature that I'd personally avoid like the plague." Posted by Todd Krieger

There is also a not so positive review by a Marc Philip (who appears not to like any tube based CDP), but he is also comparing the Raysonic with a much more expensive Classé machine.
http://magazine-audio.com/actualite/reportages/82

Marc PHILIP (said to be an independent journalist), was visiting Rotac électronique inc, a shop or importer in Québec.
In a French language web magazine, he likens its sound to that of the Shanling, and can't understand the present taste for valves in CD players.

He says he far prefers the Classé CD which he claim is more dynamic, having a more realistic soundstage.

Of course, I do not know how independent such journalists are. Perhaps this does point to the Raysonic, being better in an SS system rather than a valve system. However, Classé is made in Montreal and Raysonic is based in Montreal, I don't know whether they may be a little regional rivalry here.

"La comparaison directe avec le lecteur de CD Classé, ne laisse aucun doute, le Classé CDP 10Z est beaucoup plus performant, le son est plus dynamique et pour tout dire plus réaliste, la scène sonore reprend une taille généreuse, avec un piqué sur le piano notamment, qui nous est apparu en tout point parfait et quelle belle extention dans les deux bouts du spectre, il n’y a rien à faire Classé, fabrique des appareils remarquables."

I believe the Raysonic is hard-wired to the tube bases, so that could allow the use of very different tubes from the original ones.

Thank you for this review, I am tempted to buy one myself.