Review: Project 1 Xpression Turntable

Category: Analog

Having been in this hobby since 1957,and once a dealer,have seen a lot of product good,bad and indifferent in 47 years of doing this. In this period of time, in my opinion there are only about fifty products that have stood the test of time and offer to this day extraordinary value in the price/performance category. Certainly Dual,Thorens and Miracord owned that category outright for many years,although some of their products left a lot to be desired. But nonetheless these products established the price/performance category and to this day some of these products from Dual,Thorens,and Miracord command some very high prices in the vintage market place, with some selling for more now, than when they were new. Now thats value.

Enter now the Project 1 Xpression turntable with the Project Carbon Fiber tone arm. Here is a turntable I believe in the years to come will establish itself as one of those hallmark audio items to withstand the test of time. It has already served noticed to the industry,that the bar of performance has been raised considerably and that to compete in this price/perfomance arena, there is little to compete with the Project 1Xpression. At this point in time it clearly outpaces the contenders in the similiar products listed and at $449.00 retail it is a no brainer to pick the Project 1Xpression.

The Project 1 Xpression is a fully contemporary turntable of the time,aware of the errors of the past and firmly placed in the present and future.

The construction and build quality is exemplary at this price range. Plus the Carbon Fiber tone arm, clearly puts the table at the head of the list. Although the supplied Sumiko Oyster Phono Cartridge, is no where near what this table demands. This table just begs for a higher end cartridge and if one should acquire this table, consider the supplied cartridge nothing more than an emergency back up. I feel that a Denon DL 110 would be ideal for this table.

Although in it's matt grey finish and its overall cosmetic,some may deem it a somewhat pedestrian and austere in the overall cosmetics of this table. But rest assured the project 1Xpression is a world class performer, by any standard.

Specs Below:

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Turntable

Manual Turntable with a Carbon Fiber Tonearm & Pre-Mounted Sumiko Oyster Phono Cartridge

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Turntable Features:

Cast aluminium platter with felt mat

Low-tolerance chrome-plated stainless-steel axle runs on a polished ball bearing in a brass bearing housing

Motor decoupled to reduce vibration

Available in matt grey

Dust cover included

Pro-Ject 9c Carbon Fiber Tonearm Features:

9" precision tonearm with carbon-fiber armtube

Conical carbon-fiber armtube avoids standing wave reflections

Inverted bearing design with four hardened ABEC7 spec ballraces

Solid armbase permits accurate height adjustment of armtube and VTA (vertical tracing angle)

Single-screw fixing of armtube allows rotation for easy adjustment of needle azimuth despite fixed headshell

Highly flexible top-grade copper internal wiring.

Conical carbon fiber armtube allows adjustment of needle azimuth despite fixed headshell

Vertical tracing angle adjustable

Tonearm bearing comprises inverted hardened stainless-steel points and sapphire thrust-pads

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Technical Data:

Dust cover yes

Supplied counterweight cartridge weight 4 - 6g

Optional counterweight cartridge weight 6 - 9g

Nominal speeds 33,33/45,11 r.p.m.

Speed variance ±0,5 %

Wow and flutter ±0,1 %

Signal to noise -70dB

Down force range 1 to 3 Grams

Effective tonearm length 8.6 " (218,5mm)

Effective tonearm mass 8.7g

Overhang 18.5mm

Platter weight/diameter 2,2kg/300mm

Dimensions (lid open) 370 x 415 x 400mm

Dimensions (lid closed) 118 x 415 x 320mm

Weight with lid 6,3kg

Mains power supply : 100 - 110V, 60 cycles

Power consumption 2W

So if looking in the Rega P2,P3 or Music Hall MMF 5 or MMF 7, or Goldring GR1, here is a solid alternative at a very nice price and in my opinion clearly and without question is sonicaly superior to these tables. This is not meant to disparage the Regas,Music Hall or Goldring. They are very fine tables and worthy of anyones intention in new turntables on the market today.

However it is my opinion that the Project 1Xpression is a cut above and when it comes to price, there is little to consider.

One can do a lot worse than not choosing the Project 1Xpression and It would be a pity, though, if all the $1,000.00 turntables that are better built but don't sound nearly as a good outlived it to pollute the ears of our children.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
Rega P2,P3, Music Hall MMF 5, MMF 7,Dual CS 455,CS 435. Goldring GR 1, Thorens TD 158
ferrari

Showing 1 response by bigskeezin-3789

Several years back I owned a p3. Together with a Benz Micro Silver cartridge it made me fall in love with my vinyl all over again. What a great table. However after upgrading to a Music Hall MMF7, there was little doubt that it thrashed the p3 in performance. Rega lovers are loyal, but not all that open minded.