Review: Pass Labs X350.5 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

Since all the information has been provided about what the overall system is, I would also like to share that I predominantly listen to jazz and acoustic music.

I had the EDGE NL10 in the system for approximately two years. It had replaced Pass Labs Aleph-1 Monoblocks. There was no doubt that the NL10 was more transparent, detailed, and extended on both the top and bottom compared to my older monoblocks.

I like to use the analogy of different flavors of kinesthetic fibers or materials to describe tonal aspects or timbers of different amplifiers. The Aleph1's were smooth and "velvety" while the NL10 was smooth and "silky." However, because of the significant improvement in such areas as transparency, details, and sound staging, the NL10 was a vast improvement compared to the Alephs in my system.

Fast forward to the present:
I was not dissatisfied with the sound of my system, but I was very curious about what the new Pass Labs X350.5 amp would sound like in comparison to the NL10. I would like to mention that historically, I had auditioned the original Pass Labs X series amplifier and found it to be very detailed, transparent, and dynamic, but not as organic or musical compared to the Pass Labs Alephs. Therefore, I did not pursue purchasing a Pass Labs X amp for this reason.

However, reading what Nelson Pass was going to do in the new .5 generation of amps and talking to Kent and Peter at Pass Labs, whom I believe are quite honest about the sound of their own products, I was quite curious to see if they had really been able to take the musicality, velvety, and organic nature of the Aleph series and combine it with the transparency, dynamics and ultimate power of the original X series.

So here it is. The X350.5 amp is the best amplifier that I have ever auditioned in my own system. It truly has a tremendous ability of being transparent, detailed, and yet at the same time has the attributes of what is often called musicality and natural timbers. I want to be quite clear that I still consider the NL10 a world class amplifier which I enjoyed tremendously. However, the Pass Labs X350.5 has all the virtues that the NL10 offers but in addition, it has that special "organic sense" or offers more of a real sense of live music.

Another aspect that I found amazing about the X350.5 was that the sound stage increased in width and depth along with having more of a sense of three-dimensionality or air around each individual performer. The NL10 was no slouch in this area, but in comparison to the X350.5, the NL10 came in a distant second.

I know I have used language in this review that is somewhat subjective compared to some of the analytical statements I shared, but I hope that they made sense in trying to convey how natural, velvety, and real the timbers and the sonic signature of the X350.5 really is. The NL10 is a wonderful amplifier, but for me, it fell on the spectrum of smooth and silky versus smooth and velvety.

As a final note, the X350.5 sounded close to what it sounds now after 600 hours of burn in. Of course, I let it warm up for at least 8-10 hours before I seriously audition it. But the performance was very close to what I am experiencing now after what I would consider a total burn in. My system, including the X350.5, is never turned off so it is always operating at its ultimate level any time I choose to listen to music. There are many fine amps at this cost level. I recommend you listen to as many as you can including the Pass Labs X350.5 not just because it is competitive with the others, but you might find it as special as I do in my system.

Associated gear
The Pass Labs X350.5 amplifier is a replacement for an EDGE NL10. The total system is composed of:
1. Digital Front End - Transport and DAC both ENSEMBLE.
2. PLACETTE Active Line Stage into a Byrston Electronic Cross Over.
3. Since I Bi-Amp, the Woofer Amps are Threshold SA1 Monoblocks. The Amp is the new Pass Labs X350.5 powering the midrange and ribbon tweeters.
4. The speakers are MG20's.
5. A combination of Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II and Matrix Reference II with a double run of Satori speaker wires.
6. Digital Front End is connected to the ENSEMBLE duo isolink transformer along with Richard Gray power conditioners for the back end of the system. All power cords are Harmonic Studio Masters.

Similar products
EDGE NL10
teajay

Showing 1 response by page12

hi Teajay,
Excellent review. I see you also own SA/1 monos so you are familiar with the SA series sound. I have an SA/3 and am looking to make the move up to the 350.5. I have not moved until now as I did not want to lose the richness of the pure class A SA/3, but I would like more slam, dynamics and a larger soundstage that a higher powered amp should give. Can you give me an impression of how large a difference I will see making this switch, and if there might be any drawbacks? Speakers are Dynaudio Contour S3.4.