REVIEW: Oppo DV980H

Category: Home Theater

I am now three years into a long and twisting road toward assembling a "permanent" home entertainment system including decent H/T as well as 2-channel audio. And along that road I've had pleasant surprises and I've had unpleasant surprises -- but I've never been as shocked and stupefied by the disconnect between what other people are saying, and the experience I had, as with the Oppo DV980H. The player (and the company) for which nearly everyone has only praise and nary a whimper of complaint was, in my experience, just about the most single overrated piece of consumer tripe, this side of the New Coke.

To begin with, the Oppo doesn't work properly even by its own standards without a dizzying assembly-line of firmware upgrades. (Note to self: Never again buy a piece of electronics that touts how easy it is to upgrade with a front-end USB port. If it didn't work when it left the factory, don't buy it.) Break point insertions either do- or do not happen from disc to disc, with the same set of keystrokes, audio decoding either works or it doesn't with no apparent rhyme or reason, and most personal DVD backups of old VHS tapes either don't spin up at all, or return perhaps one frame in every twelve to the screen, making every old recording in your collection look like it was made with clay-mation.

Picture quality is lackluster at best, with lots and lots and lots of false contouring, and the audio is peppered with so much midrange breakup at even moderate output levels that for weeks I thought I'd somehow managed to blow up both of my front-channel speakers. It took me three solid days of experimentation to figure out how to make DTS content play to all six channels including the subwoofer, and then when I changed to a second DTS-encoded disc the same switch-settings no longer worked.

Along the way I also learned that the company apparently staffs a team of thinly disguised schills, trolling the discussion forums under the guise of helpful enthusiasts who immediately close down all discussions of their products that aren't favorable. As soon as it became apparent in a different forum that the helpful suggestions I was getting were self-contradictory and ignored my previous posts, my ostensible hobbyist friend posted one more time to say that next time I should read my manual, and then had the thread closed.

Finally I just threw up my hands and bought a Marantz DV7001 and -- WOW! -- it's so much better, from picture quality to audio reproduction to user interface to support, that I just can't see how anyone on earth should patronize Oppo and their second-rate products, whatsoever. Granted, the Marantz will cost a bit more money, but these days it's not really that much more, and besides: in the words of one famous movie character, you *WILL* know where that extra money went.

Send an e-mail to author "at" escapeclause "dot" net, if you'd like more details.
dog_or_man

Showing 2 responses by blindjim

Dog_or_man

I'll second or third, that "Why did you not return it?" note.

Mine came after all the firmware updates and though it's not played much while the remodeling is ongoing, I use it to test ripped DVD's, CD's, and new store boughts, now and again. Each time wether it's a DVD - or +, itteration it does quite well. Once in a great while I'll have to do the eject and insert routine with burned DVD's, and it's usually a suprise when it happens. Every disc however plays in it that gets put in it.

...somehow or other I've been given, found or came by, exact copy, and movie only (sans menus) copied store bought DVDs in it without a hitch... and I know for a fact some were copy protected. In fact I just watched Bucket List on mine the other night and the DVD was a dupe.

It also stands up to lengthy run times as I've run it in and run other stuff in with it by using it as the source/preamp.... no probs.

I've not tried the USB interface for flicks yet as none of my drives are formated FAT or under the 160G limit.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and anyone can make a dud. Sounds like you were unfortunate enough to have gotten one too. I'd have sent it right back.

The Oppo support has been OK too, nothing superior but pretty good... and easily reachable. Way better than Marantz's support. I waited nearly 40 minutes one day to ask a few q's on a receiver I was interested in and they refused to answer my questions until I gave them a lot of personal info up front on me, and my other components!

So I gbought an Onkyo receiver instead. I know that really killed 'em too. lol.

About the only knocks I got on the 980H, is it's noise when ejecting or accepting a disc, and it's kind of clumsy in the doing of it... and the jacks on the back are simply way to close to one another for upscale analog IC useage... and true enough the menus could be more thoughtful.

Performance wise? As has been said already, it's a slam dunk of a player for the $$$... if it's working right of course.

If not? Well that's where that warranty bit comes in, isn't it?

Calling and talking to the support team of ANY product,
regardless the price, regardless the ambition, decided or not, is key to finding those makers who are customer oriented and not just resting on their reps and previous editions.

With very, very, few exceptions I've not spent my money on those products where I have little or no communication with the makers support squad.

the way I see it is if they aren't accessible prior to point of sale, or for some possible detail oriented issue, just how will it be if, or when, some real trouble arises?

No talky? No money.

Then there are those upstanding, consumer/people sorts which go beyond the call of duty and are personable, considerate, and concerned with the individual... I had hoped Oppo would offfer some aid here. I got a very good feeling from during them the brief talks I had with their service dept. prior to my purchase of my 980h.

Do let everyone know how things turn out.