Review of Dartzeel NHB-108 Amplifier

Dartzeel is a relatively new entry to the high-end game. Despite being reviewed by John Marks in a recent issue of Stereophile, the company's only current product offering, the NHB-108 stereo amplifier, hasn't gotten a lot of press on these shores. Hopefully this "review" will do its part in rectifying that.
As many of you probably already know, Switzerland-based Dartzeel is the brainchild of one Herve Deletraz. Herve is a wonderful guy who's dedicated to the very best customer service. As essentially a one-man operation, I'm sure his time is limited, but he's always responded to my e-mails in an extremely courteous, timely manner.

On to the amp. I'm not one for technical details, so I'll leave them to those of you who want to visit Dartzeel's website. Basically, the 108 is a "purist" stereo amp rated at a relatively modest 100 wpc. Its smallish dimensions belie its weight, which measures around 65-70 pounds.

Internally, the amp is incredibly well laid out (if tightly packed), with an attention to detail that one should expect--but doesn't always receive--from components in this price range.

Outside, it's purely love-hate. (Refer to the website for pictures). Either you get it or you don't. Personally, I've grown used to its appearance over time, but it's taken a while to become acclimated. If WAF factor is any sort of issue, practice up on your compliments. Then again, I may be overstating the case. While it's not Liv Tyler, it's not Janet Reno, either. Time reveals its inner beauty.

Performance-wise it's a much more straightforward issue. In my experience the 108 is the most balanced, natural-sounding amp I've ever heard. It has a way with timbre that's downright spooky--up there with the very best tube units one cares to mention. The sound is just "right"--every note is reproduced with a tonal correctness and warmth that is as close to the real thing as I've heard in an amp. Because of it's sheer naturalness, it can take a while to overcome the initial impression that it is somehow soft or rolled off. That is most emphatically not the case! Dynamics are crisp and fast, and the frequency extremes are right where they need to be--not overstated or highlighted at all, just perfectly natural and realistic.

The only potential weakness of the 108 is its power rating. It flows a nice amount of juice for 100 watts, but one could theoretically run into problems with particuarly current-hungry or inefficient speakers. Part of the amp's midrange purity, I believe, is attributable to the use of the bare minimum of bipolars in the output stage. That, of course, comes at the price of power, but in this case the tradeoff is more than worth it. Just take some care in speaker matching--as you should, anyway--and you'll be rewarded with a sound that balances the very best of solid state with a midrange that will make some question whether they even need to fuss with tubes.

Despite its novel physical appearance, the need for careful speaker matching, and the fact that the US dollar has been taking a Tyson-like beating lately, the Dartzeel is a serious contender in the super-amp category. Yes, there are amps out there that do this or that "better" than the 108, but I've yet to hear one that strikes a better balance between the various areas of performance. It's a stunning piece of engineering and a landmark amplifier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Weakness: Appearance is strictly take-it-or-leave-it. Power rating requires some attention to speaker load. Cost.
Product Strengths: Naturalness, midrange magic of the highest order, speed, dynamics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Dartzeel NHB-108
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): EMM Labs DCC2
Sources (CDP/Turntable): EMM Labs CDSD
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-4 Jr.
Cables/Interconnects: Jena Labs Pathfinder
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock, blues, country, some classical
Room Size (LxWxH): 24 x 20 x 7
Room Comments/Treatments: Echo Buster, ASC
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Shunyata Hydra-8
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
hooper
Keithr, I would love to see some measurements too. But my own in-room measurements mimic the positive feedback reviewer's. There's some output below 30hz, but as the speakers are rated to go down to 35hz, it's only natural that that is about where the bass starts rolling off. Wayne Garcia in the recent issue of TAS claims that the speakers down go much below 40hz but "deliver the most solid, forceful, and well-defined 40hz I've encountered in my room."

So where did that extra 10hz go? Perhaps it's due to the positive feedback reviewer's room? The SET amps that he seemingly spent most of his time with? His tweaks that may have decoupled the speakers from the floor? Alas, it just happens so that he was reviewing the Ceramique sub as well, whose lowest crossover setting conveniently happens to be 50hz I believe. Nah, I enjoyed the review and he seems like he genuinely enjoys the speakers and that's all it matters. I do strongly believe that most people will "hear" something "appreciable" below 50hz in most rooms though.
Hi Hooper, I have two questions regarding the DarTZeel: 1. Why does Hervé call his amp DarTZeel? Is it a character from a cartoon? 2. Do you know the Accuphase A-50V? This amp has some similarities to the DarTZeel (and costs about the same as the DarTZeel). I'm curious how the DarTZeel sounds in comparison to the Accuphase.

Chris
Hi, Dazzdax:

Great question. I have no clue why Herve calls the company DarTZeel. I'll have to ask him. Or perhaps Jonathan (JTinn) will know. I have heard the A-50V in NYC, but I've never done a direct comparison with the Dart. Personally, I never been a huge fan of the Accuphase sound. It's just a little too warmish for my taste. I like something more transparent and accurate. The Dart is the polar opposite. IMO, it's one of the very best amps on the planet. Then again, how do you really define "best"? Anyway, it's an incredible amp that does everything right, at least to my ears. The dynamics are lightning quick and powerful, especially for a 100-watter. Clarity and transparency are mesmerizing. I've never heard an amp reveal as much information as this one does. But, most of all, it's effortlessly natural and nonfatiguing. When paired with the right gear, you can listen for hours and hours on end. It would probably take a plastic surgeon to remove the smile from your face! It's that good. But I own two, so of course I'm biased. But I've heard a lot of the top contenders out there, both in my home and at shows, and I can say without reservation that the DarTZeel is at the very top of the heap.
Dazzdax & Hooper: darTZeel is an anagram for Deletraz. Hervé's last name. :)

Hooper to correct you, due to your owning two amplifiers, you would be twice as biased as most. :)
Jtinn, Mike and others who have exp: I currently have the Kharma 2.3Fs...not the beloved 3.2s...tried them and personally thought the 2.3Fs were better at image solidity and bass articulation without sacrifcing that great disappearing act. The Midis are out of my price range and so are the VR9s...well actually if I want to I can upgrade to them but the size of these speakers especially the VR9s are a bit daunting plus WAF. When I purchased them I also got the Focal tweeter not the new diamond tweeter as I would have to waited another 4-6 months or so as I live in HK. The question is as I will b moving early next yr I am re-thinking my set up (once again: but its actually fun to do so). This being HK again a very large dedicated listening rm is out of the question and probably the VR9s are out of the question: they may sound great still but just visually too dominant (yes, I am acknowledging that indeed it is a factor to me: not beauty necessarily but just avoid being visually dominant). The Meitner front end is here to stay. What I am trying to think about is what to investigate: How would upgrading my tweeters in the Kharma's be like? What about the smaller VR speakers such 7 or even 4jr? Or Avalons? In this process, what amps should I investigate to "upgrade" my "old" (5 years) Linn Klimaxx Solo mono blocks? The Linns are quick and open but lack that mid range beauty (not looking the excessive lush though given the type of music I listen too I guess) and compared to other amps I have heard at times sound somehow "recessed", for a lack of better description. This is the background for me to read Audiogon etc: I know I should first know the dimensions of my listening room (basically living room) first and audition but still trying to narrow my field of investgation and devise a more methodical way of thinking about this. Should I start with amps or speakers? My current thinking was keep the speakers, investigate amps, then consider the speakers again (tweeter upgrade or say chging cables etc)...but reading this post has confused me once again. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcomed. Consider it as some advice to a fellow music lover. I listen to all sorts of jazz, rock, fusion, funk, a bit of classical...I don't need something to be very visceral if you know what I mean but I do want clarity, mid range beauty, bass articulation (really deep bass extension would be nice to have but not a decisive priority for me) and a open, high & deep sound stage (& do not like speakers which have a very narrow sweet spot: not conducive to my listening habits...that's why I have ruled a lot of speakers: including the Aerial 20Ts: sound chged too much according to listening height).
probably should add I prefer SS to tubes: not necessarily in sound (there are great examples of both, and the opposite true) but really do not want to go down the tube rolling path: call is self discipline: otherwise knowing myself would endlessly experiement and I simply do not have enough time and prefer getting things set and just emjoying the music, you know?
One last thing: I use the DCC2' as a pre-amp as well. I had thought of leaving the Linns and introducing a sep pre but upon further reflection this seems the wrong path: instead get the amps right then audition pre-amps to compare with the DCC2 and new amp in suit to see I really need to etc. Do you guys/gals agree?
Henryk: You have a lot going on. The Kharma speakers are wonderful. Adding the diamond tweeters, at least here in the US, costs about $20k US. I really think if you are going to spend that kind of money and stay with Kharma, you should look at the Midi Exquisite. The Midi is designed for a small to medium sized room. If you want delve into other speakers, I am very biased toward the Von Schweikert's. That is why I sell them. That being said, the VR7's also are a big speaker. And if your room is very small, it may be a bit much. You might consider the Von Schweikert DB99 MK2.
Thanks Jtinn. So you are saying might as well upgrade the speaker itself if I indeed spend that kind of the money on a tweeter upgrade. V good pt. Not familiar with the DB99MK2 and will check out. And I think the VR4Jrs will not exceed my speakers anyway. Increasingly it seems I need to first experiement with the power amps then go for them there. Who knows upgrading the power amps to say your beloved DarZeeTel NH108s may just do the trick after all.
Do you guys realize that most of the given & take so to speak has btwn dealer/importers and reviewers...and about each other...and about this thread...so that you have driven the curious "simple" audiophile out?: Perosnally I have no issues with dealers or reviewers posting here and actually welcome it...as long as we all stay on the subject at hand. I sort of understand what you guys all saying but you can take your disgreements off line please in the interest of others who simply wanted to see if what initial feedback was on the new preamp. Thanks in advance.
I did notice a brief reference to the Lamm 1.2 ref, which I would have thought may have made a closer comparison than the 2.1 set. Any thoughts about driving a Wilson Sophia?
Jonathan,

Have I been selling you equipment in my sleep again? ;-)

Rick Gardner
Positive Feedback