Review: Musical Fidelity a308cr cd player CD Player

Category: Digital

listening mainly to jazz, using ed manns "have no fear" as a reference disc,i compared it to the rotel 991ae(discontinued),i immediately,(break-in time approx.10-15hrs)noticed a spaciousness ive never heard with the rotel, and very similar to the ar cd3. not only did the stage become bigger and deeper, it also became much more articulate. the mf was slightly more forward sounding, but by no means in your face,and had an almost ethereal sound. i must add that in mf's literature they say build quality and sound are fair at this price, and i say bah humbug, this could be the last player you ever need. foregoing sacd and hdcd in favor of pure top of the line components internally, with 24/96 upsampling and choke regulation, you get an industrial build quality(40lbs),excellent sound,and,according to mf, you get the sound of their nu-vista player without the nu-vistasand i agree.downsides are, unbalanced inputs only and a remote that must be pointed directly at the unit to work.my advice is if your replacing your cd player and arent sold on all the hyperbole about sacd and hdcd give this player your undivided attention and you wonnt be sorry!

Associated gear
bel canto evo200.2 power amp
audio research ls16mkii pre-amp
nordost and alpha-core cabling
b&w 804 speakers(bi-wired)
misc footers(final labs,aurios)

Similar products
rotel 991ae
audio research cd3
wadia 830
sterlingheise

Showing 1 response by matsocks

I'm new to top notch hi fi and I just bought this cd player.
I hooked it up to my Consonace 300B Tube amp which I picked up on Agon and new Omega speakers. IC's and speaker cables are from Hudson Audio.
Being a newbie, things like soundstage and such are not something I feel confident talking about, however I did some "comparison" listens with different music, using the MF and my previous low end Sony cd player of years ago.
To my ears there is no difference. Am I missing something?
Is this Tube amp somehow incapable of passing through what the MF is puttin' out?
The speakers are probably not fully broken in but the sound from either cd player sure sounds beautiful.
I'm just wondering if I made a "sound" choice or not.
Also, I really do not like the front of the drawer hanging out 1/8" in front of the face of the unit. The metal of the drawer faceplate does not fully
"go into" the opening on the front of the player.
Does everyone else have this slightly open look?
Many thanks,
Matt