Review: McIntosh MC-7200 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

I mainly listen to acoustic and electronic music. My favorite bands are Air, Badly Drawn Boy, and Kruder & Dorfmeister. I occasionally listen to jazz and folk too.

Musicality is one of my top priorities. I like resolution and detail too though. The sound has to be smooth and enjoyable for me to like it.

The MC7200 is a fantastic amplifier. I am very impressed with its resolution and detail. It is a more neutral amp than the MC2125 or MC7100 and has tremendous power reserves that deliver astounding bass performance. A fellow McIntosh employee told me this amp was specifically made by McIntosh to prove they were capable of making a detailed-sounding amp. This model has a huge power supply (even by Mc standards) and, I am told, better dynamics than the MC7270 and MC300. I auditioned a MC352 at length and found similar traits overall. For the used prices today, this amp is a real sleeper. The Odyssey didn't have as large a soundstage and seemed to make a lot more high-frequency noise which was distracting. I love my MC7200 and plan on keeping it another year, after which I plan on getting a MC402.

Associated gear
McIntosh C712 preamp
Classe CP-50
Sony C333ES CDP
JM Lab Electra 926
Paradigm Reference 100.2
MIT T2 and Nordost Solar Wind cables

Similar products
McIntosh MC2125
Odyssey Stratos
McIntosh MC7100
Bryston 3B
aball

Showing 2 responses by vernneal

I have a used McIntosh MC206 and I am sold on McIntosh quality. Buy used and the value almost stays the same on McIntosh gear.