Review: McIntosh MC-275 reissue Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

1st off I listen to regular cds and lps,mostly medium rock/light to med jazz and female vocalists. I have had the Mac MC 275 about 2 months now and quite simply it is a killer...I use it with Khorns and dynamic speakers (linn Ninkas and B&W bookshelfs) sounds great on all three...to me it is all about tonal balance and being musical...let me define...the more musical the gear is the more you want to listen to Music...period. This amps sings and quite frankly I dont want to turn it off....Most systems will sound bright after hearing this amp...I find it warm but open with a nice sense of sparkle that makes it so engaging even at very low levels. I have used it with Mac C2200,VTL 2.5 and even a Linn Wakonda (solid state) worked well with all three...Just a great amp, not the last word in amps I am sure,maybe not the deepest and tightest bass etc...also not the last word in price either..not by a long shot. Just had so much more to the music than the Audio research VS55,at 3500 it is a true value in hi end audio....well done MAC.

Associated gear
mac mc 2200,VTL 2.5 Linn wakonda/Linn lk100 Vtl ST 85

Similar products
VTL, Audio Research,Bryston,Linn.Naim
Ag insider logo xs@2xsuperhonestben

Showing 1 response by usmcelectric

A few years ago, I was terribly strapped for some emergency cash...., can you say "divorce". I owned a MC-275 and a C-2200, which I sold to a friend for $3,000.00. My 'GOD' did he make a killing off of me.., but business is business. Both units were in excellent condition.., show room floor presentation pieces. Needless to say, after I was in better financial shape later on, my friend wasn't willing to cut me any deals on some extremely desirable components I was interested in. That's life.

After about a year, I dove into the low budget world of 'Dynaco', which fit my wallet like your favorite pair of dress Sunday school shoes. I purchased some excellent pieces like a pair of custom mono block 60 watt MK-III's, a ST-70 and two PAS-3 pre amps. The amps were beautifully redone, beefed up and tamed by the famous 'Will Vincent.., the king of Dynaco. Through these components, I enjoyed the haunting but smooth 'Mcintosh' sound quality..., at a price I could afford. After all, I did not stray too far from home. I remained 100% thermionic valve, and 100% American made. This is why I chose Dynaco.

Today, I am proud to say that I again own a MC-275 reissue and a MX-110 to listen to it through. As far as I am concerned, its a match made in heaven..., listened through a pair of 1970's Infinity Quantum Concert Series tower speakers (4 ohm connected).

The MC-275, with a quad set of 'blued' JJ/Tesla KT-88 output tubes is not only a sight to view in the dimness of you living room, but a sound that haunts your soul beyond description. The lows through the infinity's are tight and commands attention, while the mid-range represents itself as unique and definable. The highs linger in the realism of life itself. When this amp is in full bloom, with it's blued KT-88's, you will be definitely blown away!!!!!!

Need I say more? Have I been descriptive enough? Well here is the statement of modern times. In comparing my Dynaco MK-III's with the Mcintosh MC-275 as far as a detailed overview of both...., there is hardly any measurable difference to.

Thank you 'Audiophiles'

Darren