Review: Jeff Rowland Design Concentra mkIIp Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

I'm in to Jazz (specially guitar), Funk, Afro-Cuban, some hip hop, Classic Rock and blends of these genres.

I use any/all Cubop label Afro-Cuban LP's for testing. they're the best recordings I've ever herd period. I also use Wes Montgomery on vinyl (because Wes rules), a Cachao CD called Dos.

For me naturalness, dynamics, warmth and detal are important. I want deep tigh extnded bass that is coherent with the rest of the sound and well defined. No one-note bass lines. Nauralness and warmth re more important than detail or even imaging. Bright tinny sounds turn me of no matter how detailed or how god the imaging is. Better to want more thn to get too much of one thing. If it's not there, you may not notice it but if there's too much you'll want it to go away.

Ive had the Concentra II about a month. It replaces the Plinius 8200 (8100 upgrde w/phono). Even if the Concentra doesn't have quite the raw musle, the refinement smoothness and naturalness with better imaging make it a pure joy. The build quality and intangibles are world class. Unbelievably beautiful. And also quite pwerful 175 watts per channel very conservatively rated I'm sure.

Strenths are beauty, convenience, world class sound, great phono, warmth, detail, power, naturalness.

Weaknesses, well it retils for $7,100 but if your an audiophle then that's not crazy. You can't record one source and listen to another like the Plinius. Sonically no weaknesses. Thi may be one of the best Integrted solid state rigs in the world.

If money was no object I would still be thrilled with this unit...who knows if money was no object I could die of my own devices. Cheers. Love. Dave in S.F.

Associated gear
Sony XA7ES CD, Project Perspective Turntable /Benz Micro Gilder Cartrige, Tannoy Definition 900 Floorstanding Towers.

Similar products
Plinius 8200
davabar
Dave, I too have been very impressed with my Rowland Concentra II and I have owned various tube syatems in the past. I am still waiting to find faults with the unit. I have been happy with Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker cable and interconnects. CD is Phillips SACD1000, and VPI Aries JMW 10 Shure V15 type Vmx. Speakers are Nestorovic 5AS MKIV. Jallen
I've also had the Concentra II for just over 6 months now and am amazed at how it reproduces music. I've found it really synergistic with the rest of my system: LP12/Lingo/Graham 2.1L/Glider M2, HT Pro-9 Plus, and ProAc R2's on Rix Rax stands. If it has sins of omission I've yet to find them. The system flat-out sings!
Dave, I have a Concerta II as well. I have been experimenting with cables lately. How did you come to choose the Cardas and did you also audition the Golden Reference Speaker cable? I am having quite a hard time getting a cable that just sounds right. Otherwise I love the Rowland and wouldn't give it up.