Review: High Fidelity Cables CT-1 Interconnect Interconnect

Category: Cables

15-May-2012
High Fidelity Cables CT-1 Interconnect

At 1100 hours after installation, I can say with certainty Rick Schultz has hit this one out of the park!

I feel it’s necessary to quality my observations from two perspectives: first, as a former Virtual Dynamics customer and second as a High Fidelity believer.

I am familiar with Rick’s Virtual Dynamics products; and allow me to say, I’ve never been averse to spending an hour pre-bending a cable prior to installing, then awaiting the 1000 hour mark prior to realizing its full potential.

That said, I reacted with skepticism when Rick announced his new venture announcing superior offering reduced break-in. Indeed a mighty boast; however, Rick has never failed to make good on a promise.

CT-1 installs effortlessly and its sleek appearance is aesthetically appealing to all. Upon powering up the system one immediately “feels” the cable’s presence while experiencing a system transformation. It is literally altering the conductivity of the entire audio system.

As with any of Rick’s products, break-in is required; yet he has somehow reduced the necessary time by over 50%. Sure, the cable slightly improves over the 500 hour mark but the break-in process is enjoyable. One can literally smile upon opening the box.

On my experience, Rick has taken the best of Genesis, Judge and Ultra Clear as a foundation, while significantly augmenting the ability to deliver detailed impact on the audio system.

Bass is tightly focused and one definitely senses “pressure” generated by the recording. Midrange is sharp yet never overpowering fine details found in delicate percussion, strings or wind instruments; furthermore, depending on the recording, one can easily ascertain breath and microphone position.

As I reflect on my past audio experiences, I realize Rick has indeed ushered in a new frontier. Experience a master’s work in your system – it will change your definition of audio.

The journey never ends.
tddupuy

Showing 4 responses by fplanner2000

I have. Enhanced has even more detail and is a bit faster as well as being a bit quieter.
I have now had the CT-1 Ultimate ics for about a month between my CD player and preamp. The transparency and realism is amazing. They are apparently just starting to seriously break in at about 200 hours. I am hearing both a wider and deeper soundstage as well as more details than with the Enhanced version CT-1. Bass has tightened up and gotten quicker. There is an increased "ease" to the music that wasn't quite there before, as the noise floor has gotten noticeably lower. Separation/imaging,especially between voices, has also improved. I am also starting to catch low-level details I have not heard before, especially environmental cues - chairs and microphones moving, etc.
These cables do not tune the sound like the others you mention. They simply get out of the way, so will reflect what is fed to them. Due to the very low noise floor, there is a greater level of detail that comes through, unaltered from the original recording. As the cables break in, the notes are held longer after the initial attack and the soundstage depth increases. At about 300 hours, I started to notice sounds coming from outside my speakers, which are making these big speakers pretty much disappear. For that to happen in my crazy-sized and acoustically-challenged living room is pretty extraordinary, IMO. Hope this helps answer your question. I have the Ultimate CT-1 between my CD player and Preamp. Speakers are modified VSA VR-7SE Mk2s.
An easier, less expensive idea would be to just rent what you want to try from the Cable Company. I'm pretty sure they stock most of them. Be sure to inquire how many hours are on whichever you decide to rent.