Review : GEYGUY Model G-521-1 Bookshelf speaker. George vs. Sonya

Budget Esoterica Review Magazine 

September 2022 Issue

George and Sonya fraternal twins cut from the same cloth

Today i will be reviewing the GEYGUY Model G-521-1 Bookshelf Speakers, as well  as a digital coaxial cable from Ixos and my new favorite speaker cable the Monster XP-NW MS Navajo White speaker cable. To make things simpler i will be referring to the GEYGUY speakers as "George" and i will be comparing them to the Sony SSCS5 , also a three way speaker. I will be referring to the Sony speakers as "Sonya". George and Sonya are fraternal twins cut from the same cloth..They are both three way speakers with slightly different personalities. In this review i will try to give you a few insights into their personalities so you can make an informed purchasing decision. 

George is currently on sale at Amazon.com for under $70. Sonya is a little bit more expensive, but she is a fancier dresser. Georges' styling is more laid back and less utilitarian. Sonya is more formal and business like. George is a solid well built man with a 5 inch woofer, a 2 inch mid-range and a 1 inch tweeter. Georges' shipping box weighs a solid 8.1 kg. This is impressive for such an inexpensive speaker. He wears a beautiful black oak jacket with a Flash-Gordan-esque vest. 

George likes stylish belts also. The Monster XPNW MS Navajo White goes very well with his black jacket and they can also be used as speaker cables. Since George is slightly disabled, he will need a walking cane to help him amble about and round out his ensemble. Georges' favorite color is orange, so he chose the Ixos 1061 walking cane which can also be used as a digital coaxial interconnect. 

George and Sonya dancing in the same room with different partners.

Can George show up Sonya on the dance floor? Read on to find out. First, let's find out if George has more cajones than Sonya by listening to some bass heavy music. While listening to the first two tracks on the Queen II album , George seemed to go a little deeper, but Sonya was a tad cleaner and more liquid and controlled , also smoother. I also felt that Sonya was more coherent and stable sounding with greater power handling. I think that Sonya's tweeters were slightly cleaner and purer. Track 5 left me with the same impression. Sonya is easier on the ears and eyes. George and Sonya are both good speakers, but i prefer Sonya.

Put on a good quality vocal recording , such as Melody Gardot Sunset In The Blue and you can hear that Sonya has a slightly superior mid range performance. However, when we listen to the bonus track with Sting, George seems to have more bass and maybe a little more natural sound. George has pretty good detail retrieval, also. If i was an audiophile with an expensive system who likes to play music loud, i would probably pick Sonya, but George is a lot of  fun also. 

J.J. Johnson is one of my favorite jazz artists and i have really been enjoying the Blue Trombone album. I had a strange observation while listening to track number thirteen , titled "Groovin'". For some reason George seemed to have more heart and soul and personality than Sonya did. In comparison Sonya seems a little clinical and snooty. Does this make George the better speaker? Probably not, but it does give him bonus points. 

I think George is an interesting speaker that is worth trying out, even if you have something more expensive you might just be charmed by his personality. The richest most beautiful girl is not always the best dancer. Fun factor or clinical precision? Who will be your dance partner? George or Sonya?

honda6