Review: Eosone RSF-400 Monitor

Category: Speakers

Recordings used: Ambient, Eurodance, Industrial, Alternative.

I feel that sound should be enveloping, a speaker should surround you with music while still providing a relatively clear reproduction of a recording. The Eosones replaced my very first system, Technics floor standing speakers, which to my standards today were horrendous. The Eosones did an excellent job of creating sound that had a large sweet spot, and through its use of rear projecting tweeters (rare at this price) to project out of phase sound to the walls (12" behind them), which recirculated it at a slightly slower rate, making the sound more three dimensional. The bass in above par for a bookshelf model, the fit and finish is an excellent black gloss finish, not quite to NHT standards but still nice to look at. Unfortunently it does not have bi-wire capability, and the sound is far from natural sounding, but that really wasn't what these speakers were made for. They were created for low-end audio consumers who wanted something a little better than Sony and JBL. I still enjoy listening to these speakers even though they've been replaced with a pair of Mission 773e. For the money you cant beat these entry level speakers if you are looking for something to fill your room with sound, albeit slightly artificial. For specs the website is still open along with plenty of information from the creator, Nudell. (WWW.EOSONE.COM)

Associated gear
Denon 2800 MKII DVD Player
Yamaha HTR-5460 Surround Receiver
Star Quad 9 AWG Silver/Teflon Cables
Superior Glass Toslink
Metal Technology spiked stands

Similar products
B&W, Klipsch, Polk, Yamaha, Energy, Mission, PSB, Snell.
highflyin8

I know this is an old thread but I believe that Eosone 400s (which I own) didn't get their fair shake due to the fact that Snell has already made this exact same speaker model "E" a decade earlier and the Snell still sounds better. I own the Snell E3 and when you copy a speaker that highly praised and as well known as that, you leave little room for praise. Especially when you can't even improve on the stolen idea plus made a larger cabinet to boot. 

So if Def Tech made a close copy of the eosone then they too attempted to borrow existing design from Snell E series. The Snell E is one of the only manufactured speakers that are not intolerable, of course they still can't compete with my main speakers, but they will hang with the best of them made before 2000.

The eosone are not bad but lack the control of a well designed speaker, I'm not a polk fan although I own a pile of them, I did not buy them for my own use but rather took them in for cheap in hopes to resell for a few extra $.

I can say that I thought the overall design was terrible and they needed some rethinking of how they were constructed. Making the top piece removable was nonsense plus the huge ledge they had looked awkward.i made a new top in black lacquer finish and glued and screwed it on. The bottom was just a bad so it too was removed are placed with a much more modern wrapp around foot the front grill was remade to just cover the speakers and not go to the bottom giving it a smaller look. They wete Herman Munster big and ugly so that's why they failed. Can't expect much when you copy another speaker and can't even match the sound.

The Snell does provide biwure and also has a control for the rear tweeter

Unfortunately...Eosone never received a fair shake from the audiophile community...they were...afterall...somewhat of a DEF TECH clone sold exclusively at BB...not a ringing endorsement for hi enders...I recently acquired a pair, the floorstanding rsf 400s...and although far from perfect...they are still a unique speaker today...they have a room filling, laid back, somewhat "soft" presentation...however...the bass...on a good recording...is surprisingly punchy and musical...albeit a bit warm at times...they have a full sound with nice center fill imaging...