Review: Denon DCD-1560 CD Player

Category: Digital

At the time this was one of the top units from Denon.I believe it was third from the flagship model. Probably the first units to have real 20 bit D/A technology,with 8 times oversampling. I have had this unit for quite sometime now.This was a NOS unit. This has been a total plug n play unit and has never given a moments problem. This is a single tray CD Player with way above average transport. Controls have that solid feel,nothing flimsy here. Weighs in at least 20 pounds. For a CD Player it is heavy. Retailed for $650.00 in 1991 or 1992,cant remember which year though.

I listen to a wide variety of music and for a CD Player it is quite remarkable. At times I forget I am listening to the digital format,it is that good. To extract the most from this CD Player it needs a good preamp and power amp. It is unforgiving if the rest of the system is not up to the task. But with the given of having the proper PreAmp and Power Amp as well as decent speakers,this CD Player from Denon can deliver sonics that are on par with todays CD Players up to the $1,500.00 range. Can you do better than the Denon 1560 - Sure you can. When I replace this will go to a CAL unit. But at the secondary prices these sell for,it is damn near impossible to do better.

Specifications:
Audio

• No. channels: 2
  • Frequency Response:2-20,0000Hz
  • Dynamic Range: 100 dB
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: 115dB
  • Harmonice Distortion: 0.002%(1kHz)
  • Separation: 106 dB (1kHz)
  • Wow & Flutter: Below Measurable Limit.
  • Output Voltage:2.0 V,Variable 0 - 2.0 V
  • Discs: Compact Disc Format

General Characteristics

• Power Supply: 50/60 Hz,voltage is shown in rating label
  • Power Consumption: 18 W
  • Dimensions: 19 3/32 x 5 10/32 x 13 25/32
  • Weight: about 20 Pounds

Functions and Display

• Functions:Direct Selection,automatic search,programmed playback,repeat playback,manual search,auto space,time mode,auto edit,emphasis feature
    Display
  • Track number,time,music calendar,and engaged modes and Headphone jack.
  • Remote Control

Clearly with the above specifications this Denon was way ahead of the competition when it came out. And can hold its own very nicely with the players of today. Have never been disappointed with the sonics of this Denon 1560 CD Player. In my opinion this is just about as good as it gets for digital. For what these sell for in the secondary market,the simple question why spend more??

The back panel of the Denon 1560 has fixed and variable outputs as well as optical and coax connection,nice touch there. This unit is extremely resistant to vibration due to its very ridgid chassis and Denons BMC technology.

The way this Denon CD Player sounds,plus its build quality,it will be a long time before I move up to a California Audio Labs unit.Then again may opt for another Denon. Very pleased with this one.

Associated gear
    Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
    Music Hall,Rega Planet,Sony,Parasound,California Audio Labs.

• ferrari

Showing 1 response by meisterkleef

Totally agree.

I've still got my 1988 DCD-1520, the predecessor to the 1560. First it was my main player, then it served as a transport feeding a Wadia 25 DAC, and now it is the CD source in the bedroom system. I use the variable outs to feed the amp directly (Adcom 535II driving Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance monitors). I couldn't be more pleased with the sound considering the total system cost of $1000.

I had to replace the laser a couple of years ago, but other
    than that it has performed flawlessly for over 14 years.