Review: Denon 2900 CD Player

Category: Digital

"Walter, my Denon 2900 Universal DVD/CD-SACD/DVD-Audio Player was mailed out to PARTS CONNEXION on a Monday evening, received by your workers Wednesday afternoon, mailed back out to me on Friday, and I received my unit back the following Monday morning with the unit being in excellent condition. The modifications is the Level-1 mod, with the addition of the Super Clock added and the center channel upgraded. I have a 5.1 surround sound system.
My system is kind of extensive and consist of:
Def Tech BP2000 TL's Power Tower-Bipolar Speaker Def Tech C/L/R 3000 Center Channel Speaker Def Tech BPVX/P's Bipolar Surround Speakers, Upgrade Power Cables used on surrounds sub's are PS-Audio X-Stream Prelude with PS-Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet used for clean power to the BPVX/P's sub's. Speaker Cables are PS-Audio X-Stream Statement biwire cables and are used on the 2-Front and Center Channel Speakers, PS-Audio X-Stream Statement Full Range Speaker cables are used on surround speakers. All Audio Interconnects are PS-Audio X-Stream Statement. All components using PS-Audio X-Stream Statement Plus and Prelude Power Cords. Amps are (3)PS-Audio HCA-2 Power amps
PS-Audio P-500 Power Regenerator Preamp-McCormack Map-1 Analog Surround Sound Controller Magnum Dynalab MD-90-T/FM Tuner JVC-Cassette Tape Player/Recorder Bel Canto Dac2-24bit/192Khz Upsampling Dac using PS-Audio Cable. The Monster HTS-2500 Power line conditioner is used for the Subwoofer on my Def Tech BP2000TL's, the C/L/R 3000 Center Channel Speakers and my Mitsubishi 56" HD Widescreen TV Monitor. And my room is lightly dampened with Acoustic Panels and I use 2-Audio Prism Quietline Filters to help clean up dirty AC from wall outlets.
I was not capable of doing a A/B comparison with my Denon 2900, but I can tell you about the improvements I heard after I listened to the unit before and now in it's modified version and it having about 172 hours of my DMP Multichannel Reference SACD Sampling Disc played on it.
The sound was incredibility smoother without the lack of edge it use to have.
Instruments sounded more natural, more real, and larger than life. But I think the last part (larger than life) may have alot to do with my stereo equipment itself.
Instruments and voices did emerge from a blacker background with more space and air surrounding instruments and voices.
The Soundstage is more wider and deeper, low level instruments appear with better articulation and more coherence, the sound is more engaging.
I could and did do an A/B comparison between my Bel Canto Dac2-24 bit/192khz Upsampling Dac and the upgraded 2 Channel Analog Stages.
The Bel Canto Dac, brighter and more aggresive.
The Upgraded 2 Channel Analog Stage, more layed back, but very clean and detailed.
Both having it's own distinct character but the Bel Canto did add an alternative with it's 24/192Khz Upsampling to an outstanding modification.
But when we talk about the sound of modifications done on all 3 front channels playing all 5.1 channels with a SACD or a DVD-Audio CD, the player is in a totally different ledge than the 2 Channel Analog upgrade and the Bel Canto upsampling Dac.
"Those guys do really good work!"
Would I have them to modify another unit for me? My answer is, yes! But I do wish the cost was a little more reasonable.
Keep the good work up Wally!

Associated gear
3PS-AUDIO H C A-2 POWER AMPS
PS-AUDIO P-500 POWER REGENERATOR
PREAMP-MC CORMACK MAP-1 ANALOG SURROUND SOUND CONTROLLER
MAGNUM DYNALAB MD-90-T/FM TUNER
JVC-CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER/RECORDER
BEL CANTO DAC2-24BIT/192KHZ UPSAMPLING
DAC USING PS-AUDIO COAXIAL DIGITAL X-STREAM STATEMENT AUDIO CABLE.
MONSTER HTS-2500 POWER LINE CONDITIONER
AND IS USED FOR THE SUBWOOFER ON MY DEF TECH BP2000TL'S AND THE C/L/R 3000 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER
berkemei8