Review: Concert Fidelity DAC-040 DA converter

Category: Digital

Starting in 2005 I worked myself up the chain of the very fine DACS built by Accustic Arts of Germany, finally ending up with their Reference Tube Hybrid. I have auditioned over six very highly regarded DACS in the last couple of years and found them to be quite good, but none of them exceeded the performance of the AA Reference Tube Hybrid in my system. I do not use high resolution material, only Redbood CDs, so these auditions were only based on this format because my large collection of music is composed totally of this material. Well, I know nothing is the "BEST" in high end audio, there are many fine pieces of gear when you get to a certain level of excellence. However, I thought that maybe the evolution of DACS that play the standard format had got to the point that it could not get really that much better. Each DAC might offer different slight flavors but not a qualitative shift to a much higher level of performance. It has turned out that I was very wrong regarding this assumption after auditioning what has become my new reference, the Concert Fidelity DAC-040.

The designer of the CF DAC-040, Mr. Masa Tsuda believes in very short and clean circuits in all of his designs. The analog section of this DAC is very similar to what he uses in his highly regarded reference LS-080 linestage. They both use 12AU7's and a 6CA4/EZ81 full-wave rectifier tube. It took over two years of on-going listening tests for Mr. Tsuda to find the NOS DAC chips to use in his DAC, there is no over or up sampling and any type of digital filters to be found any were in this piece, that delivered the sonics he was looking for. Which DAC chips he finally decided on are confidential and not disclosed. All the Concert Fidelity and Silicon Arts, same company, pieces are beautifully built to an exemplatory level including the DAC-040.

Why was I taken so aback by the sonic performance of the CF DAC-040, here's the reasons:

1) By far the most natural timbres and harmonic colors I have ever heard coming from a digital front end.

2) The microdynamics and prat of this DAC are amazing, yet it still allows the listener to relax into the music without giving up the punch and kick of the music.

3) What I refer to as image density or a 3D quality, what most would just call palpability, of each player with air around them on a layered soundstage was the best I have ever had in my system.

4) The CF DAC-040 creates a very open and deep soundstage with great layering in a natural way that allows you to have the illusion that your in that acoustic space.

Believe me, the AA Reference Tube Hybrid DAC is no slouch in these sonic qualities, yet, it was no were close to having these special attributes that the CF DAC-040 was providing in my system. To use very subjective terms this DAC has the most musicality/naturalness that I have experienced that just draws you into the music. Dare I say that a lot of listeners could be fooled into thinking that they were hearing an analog front end, instead of a digital source, I think so.

I end all my reviews by sharing that there is no "BEST" piece of any kind of gear, but many terrific ones. Personal taste and system synergy always comes into play. If your looking for one of the best Redbook DACS around today I highly recommend you audition Mr.Tsuda's "baby", you will be in for a sonic treat.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
teajay
Post removed 
FWIW after more listening and comparing, I realize that records can sound meaningfully better than CDs still in my set-up. But this doesn't detract from what a great player the CF is.
For those running the CF DAC-040 for computer audio, a suggestion that could be handy. I have been using a Berkeley USB converter that has worked very well for the last year or so. Yesterday, I received my new amber Uptone Audio USB Regen device, which moves it forward again. So that I now feel that in probably every way I am now getting better sound from 16/44 music loaded on my Macmini's external drive than from my turntable with this latest addition. Of course, this is in combo with the Berkeley USB converter, SR Tranquility Base, SR cables and 15 SR ECTs stickytak'd all over inside the DAC-040. I have a 2010 MacMini with a solid-state drive and a simple external G-Tech hard drive.
Has anyone experimented with different rectifier tubes in the CF DAC-040? I mean of course the single 6CA4/EZ81 that goes inside the box. I had been using a smoked glass Mullard which I just replaced with another of the same type. When I put the new one in I got a cleanup in sound and stronger bass than I had been getting just before. I had to replace the old one because it seems to have been the source of some distortions I was hearing mostly on crescendos of solo and choral female vocals. Thanks for any ideas.
Enjoyed reading your review Teajay. Sounds like the battery (BD) version is a meaningful improvement over my older non BD version. But I do enjoy the sound I get, somewhat enhanced as it is by Synergistic Tranquility Base conditioning and ECTs. I hope that I am getting at least some of the same gains that the BD version offers. Anyway, thanks for the heads up about it.
Hello to all,

My review on the 040BD has just been put up tonight on hometheaterreview.com. I hope in an articulate way it expresses the beauty of this DAC.
Hello to everybody on this thread,

I have just sent in to the website that I write for, hometheaterreview.com my review on the CF-040BD-DAC. It should go up in the next four to six weeks. As I stated on this thread my first take on the new battery powered version, it was not an audition that took place in my reference system, was very conservative and understated the vast improvements that Mr. Tsuda has gotten by going with the DAC chips being powered by the battery pack. I also nominated the CF-040BD-DAC as a piece that should be placed on the list for "BEST" of the year products. So, all you owners hopefully will enjoy reading about all the details regarding the DAC'S performance when the review is published and why I think its the most musical DAC on the market today.
Hi Agriculturist,
thank you so much once again for this suggestion! I will try them ;)
All the best,
Prawax, one more thing I would recommend is to place 10 Synergistic Research ECTs inside the DAC. They move the already superb performance of the DAC up quite surprisingly. The sound is more transparent, natural and holographic. I found originally that placing five ECTs inside is very helpful, but just recently I have discovered that using ten ECTs is far better. Apparently these little devices eliminate high frequency noise that occurs inside digital components. You can look them up on SR's web-site.
Hi Agriculturist,
thank you very much for your kind and helpful feedback!
No one else wants to talk about his experience on the PCs vs CF-040DAC ?
Regards,
Hullo Prawax, I have not heard any of the cables you name. I am very happy with a combination of Synergistic Research's Tesla SE Hologram D power cable and SR Tesla D3 digital interconnect. The rest of my PC and IC set up consists of SR's shielded Element Tungsten or Copper cables, and I also use the SR Tranquility Bases under the DAC-040 and my integrated amp. I can say that it all works very well. Hope that helps.
Regards
Hi all,

in the last months I tried a lot of PCs and (IMO/IME) for my CF DAC -040 the best are the Pranawire Samadhi and the Shunyata King Cobra V1-i.
I would like to know your experiences and what is the PC that you preferred for this DAC.

Thank in advance for your reply and best regards,
Hey Fluffers,

I have in house the battery powered DAC for review for hometheaterreview.com, whom I'm a staff writer for. I had spent enough time with the new model to know that it was an improvement over the last generation piece as I stated in past posts on this thread. However, now that I have spent many hours with it in the context of my reference system, I'll admit I was wrong! Both Dacs are great, however the tonal purity, the image density, and air and space around the players and their location in the soundstage goes to another level in the battery powered DAC.
Guys I have the CF PRE and DAC- Any further thoughts on the Battery upgrade- Not sure if i should go for it or not- any other thoughts would be appreciated- also has anyone heard the CF amps any thoughts- thanks
Branislav, I am reading your comments about comparison of
Concert Fidelity dac 040 and latest Lampy dac [made in Poland by Lukas] with curiosity because Lukas is making his dacs as music lover and hobby'st designer.
His production is very limited because he is building every
unit himself without production backup and what is very important - that every unit he is doing can sound a little different from each other [!] In that case valuation
and comparison with Concert Fidelity production dac is
just not fair.... Ok, generaly speaking you can compare just
both units for sound quallity and your own knowledge but nothing else.
To be honest with you I never have a chance to listen lampy
dac but I know some people in Poland who have this possibilities and all of them have got other's brand dac such Metronome, Accustic Arts , Gryphone or dCS.I hope you
understand now more about our preferences and personal choices.
@Branislav:

...Concert Fidelity slightly more impressive, for what its worth, with electronic music...

Branislav, you are right - this is one of the reasons why I chose the CF among a lot of DACs; It’s perfect with all kinds of music but with electronic music it's wonderful!!

Abstract, Ambient, Deep House, Disco, Downtempo, Drone, Dub, Dubstep, Electro, Experimental, Grime, House, IDM, Leftfield, Minimal, Modern Classical, New Age, New Wave, Synth-pop, Techno, Trance, Tribal….all these styles are awesome played by the CF!!!

Regards,
Thanks,
You've satisfied my curiosity regarding your opinion of two stellar DACs.
I have been fairly busy so I havent had as much time to listen as I would have liked. Yes, I think they are on the same level, just with slightly different presentation, which could be due to tube choices. Ultimately Big6 is staying put and Concert will be up for grabs when I get around to it.
Hello Branislav,
Are you continuing to compare/evaluate (fully burned in now) the two superb DACs? Do you ultimately prefer one, or are they equals performers but with different presentations? I would imagine both DACs are quite special.
Charles,
Yes a great read!! Thanks for the comparison of the Lampi and Concert Fidelity. Enjoy.
Branislav…..what tubes did you have in the audio stage for the L6? If you are using the stock Sylvania VT-99, you need to put those in the trash! The L6 is very dimensionally flat and "distant" with these tubes. If the Lampi guys see this as their reference tube, that is very sad! You gotta try the National Union VT-99.
Ok, here it goes...disclaimer, my system, my ears, my mood and random choice of tubes in either dacs...both are fantastic, not a big difference....concert fidelity it little bit more focused, with a faster drive, with a little upfront presentation, voices closer to you. Big Six has a bit more laid back presentation, bass perhaps not quite as tight but very natural nevertheless, voices seem very midhall with a lot of stuff going on at the back of the soundstage. Lamp has a very open soundstage, where the only limitation can be source or the rest of the equipment. It is very musical dac, just like designer said not to play parts of song here and there but to just listen to music. Concert Fidelity slightly more impressive, for what its worth, with electronic music but Lamp more musical with most everything else...wish I could keep both and maybe I will but I might have to let Concert Fidelity go in the future.
PS. Lamp needs more warm up, Concert ready to go...
There really is something to this Lampy obsession. They are wonderful DAC's!! I received my Big6 today and it's sound is simply breathtaking!

I don't want to hijack this thread since it's about the Concert Fidelity DAC. So....

For those interested in reading my comparison of:
Lampy Big6
PS Audio DirectStream
Jeff Rowland Aeris
Empirical Audio OverDrive SE
Possibly an Aesthetix Pandora Signature

Please :
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&&&/Absolute-top-tier-DAC-for-standard-res-R

It's a fun read and a fun experience!

That all said, the reputation of the Concert Fidelity is beyond words. I just wish it had a good USB input.... Maybe a USB to spdif converter is in my future....

Regards.
Hi Paul,
I'm in Michigan and working that weekend. I've heard the full CF system on three separate occasions and was impressed each time. This is why the CF DAC and LampizatOr comparison is interesting, both are excellent and reproduce music not hifi.
Charles,
For anyone visiting T.H.E Show at Newport Beach this weekend, the DAC 040BD will be running in all CF system, into TAD Ref 1's. Head for the California room! Charles, are you going? I'll be there with CF..

Branislav, looking forward to your comparison, the Lampizator is getting much attention so will be a good test!

Rgds,
Paul.
Concert Fidelity and Lampizator Big 6, this should really be an interesting direct comparison. What fun!
Quick update, just received my Big Six Lamp and Im currently breaking it in, want to give the Dueland Cast Capacitors at least 100 hours before serious evaluation.
I have done some listening tonight and the system sounds fantastic. Sure it needs plenty of warm up and sometimes a bit of help from Essence of Music cd treatment, but the clarity and 3d images of some electronic music are outstanding. Kudos to Apex Teton headphone amp, which just might be THE amp for Sennheisers HD800.
Hi Matt (if that's your name)...definitely keep us posted those are some heavy hitters you got there....
Hi everybody..I literally just got my Concert Fidelity dac yesterday. My initial impressions were a bit inconsistent since I'm also breaking in a brand new headphone amp and upgrade cable since the sound would slightly change. I did notice the tube swap does impact the sound noticeably. I will post further impressions soon and especially will be able to evaluate and compare once I get my Big Six Lamp, which might be early next week, since I can only comment how my system sounds overall without being able to pinpoint how different pieces of equipment contribute to the sound. Stay tuned...
Hi Branislav,

I just nabbed a Big6 on the Gon from a guy that moved up to a Big7.
I'm intrigued by the R2R design for red book only, which is my current library.

Also have 4 other top tier DAC's inbound to arrive in the first week of June.

Very excited. All well reputed.

Lampy Big6
Accustic Arts Tube DAC 2 mk 2
Empirical Audio OverDrive SE
Rowland Aeris
PS Audio DirectStream

I promise to post as I go.
Concert Fidelity should be shipping to me any day now and Lampizator is still being made in Poland. Im actually glad that I will have one of these dacs for a week or two before the other one comes, so I become familiar with it.
Hallo, i use a hiface to conect my Musical Fidelity trivista Dac with my Pc.
Now i am looking for a better dac. Would you say the CF DAC 40 will a good choise to connect with a Pc with a Hiface? Or should i buy a new dac with usb?

Thanks
Best Regards
Hallo, i use a hiface to conect my Musical Fidelity trivista Dac with my Pc.
Now i am looking for a better dac. Would you say the CF DAC 40 will a good choise to connect with a Pc with a Hiface? Or should i buy a new dac with usb?

Thanks
Best Regards
Yes, Im very excited about the comparison and Im not going to be in any rush to come to any conclusions. A lot of people will probably dismiss it given the fact that it will be based solely on my headphone system. If there are any meaningful impressions, I'd like to share it here on this thread or I might start a new one. One of the dacs will have to appear here for sale in the future, since I cant justify having both dacs in my possession, but we'll see....The lamp should be a decked out with upgraded tube sockets and additional Dueland on the digital input....
Two very fine DACs, this should be an interesting and enjoyable comparison and I see no loser in this one.
Charles,
I just pulled trigger on Concert Fidelity dac and Big Six Lampizator...will be curious how to stack up against each other :-)
Hi Mattnshilp,

As above, the Berkeley and also the JK converters are used by other DAC040 users here, I have no experience with usb myself, opting for CD transport instead.

Can you elaborate as to why you may require balanced out? The design is pure single ended as you probably understand. Of course, a trial would be very much worthwhile:-)

Rgds,
Paul.