Review: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Series 2 DA converter

Category: Digital

I was itching for more reports on the Alpha DAC Series 2 other than the Robert Harley review in TAS. Personally I get the feeling he is a little too much "in love" with all the BADA products and wanted some more first hand accounts, but they are few and far between. I had owned and loved the original Alpha DAC for 3-4 weeks (I am a gear whore) until I snatched up this Series 2 here on the 'Gon and so I was lucky enough to have them both at the same tame for comparison. This review is more of a comparison of the Series 1 vs Series 2 versions of the BADA.

Actually I am lazy and not very articulate, so I am just going to post my notes here. I find discussions more informative anyhow so I will do my best to answer any questions that may be posted.

- 1st impression softer, less leading edge definition, more "analog"... only "better" depending on taste.
- Wait, notes actually rounder, more depth - circle vs sphere.
- Imaging more solid.
- More detail, nuances, delicacy, air, openness, texture.
- Moderately wider soundstage.
- More liquid flow with saxophone.
- Sweeter highs.
- Hear snare drum head skin more as opposed to chains with S1, more pop.
- Cymbals more splashy with series 1, bit glassy in tone by comparison.
- Toms more resonance and body
- "Fat bass" referred to in S1 review better defined, tighter.
- Accompanying piano in jazz ensemble better delineated.
- Better balance among instruments in ensemble. Series 1 ride cymbal overpowers piano.
- Better sense of vibrato with strings during "normal play" (and not just with long sustained solo notes).
- Kravitz electric guitar esp. good - more creamy, dense grunginess - very distinct in soundstage.
- Voices more focus.
- Just more musical.

The Series 2 Alpha DAC retains very much the same basic tonal character of the Series 1 but at the same time is very much improved in the ways stated above. However, I must say it took me a little bit of listening to definitively prefer it to the Series 1. In the very beginning I thought it might have sounded too soft with less of a direct vibrancy about it, but it didn't take long to realize the Series 2 is just superior. One way to describe that main difference is that the images with the Series 1 are more carved out (but NOT hard or shrill!) whereas they are more "lit from within" with the Series 2. I think some may actually prefer the Series 1 but the strong majority would take the Series 2. The Series 1 is still a great DAC, but the Series 2 is significantly more refined.

When I first replaced my Bel Canto DAC3 with the BADA Series 1 I was quite surprised that they shared a lot in common, with the BADA being more refined and deeper tonally. If I had to put number to it, I would say the BADA was about 20-25% better than the DAC3. With the Series 2, I now put that number at about 45-50%.

If you can swing it, the upgrade will most likely be very much worth your while...

*** I must note that the Series 2 I purchased was slightly modified with the stock fuse having been replaced by an Audio Magic Liquid Nano fuse and some cork added to the chassis for dampening. I don't know how much this contributed to the sound of my Series 2, but I do know it sounds damn good!

Associated gear
- Zotac ZBox HD-ND22 PC running Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, SSD
- Foobar2000 WASAPI and JPlay via JRiver Media Center playback software
- John Kenny JKSPDIF Mk3 low-jitter USB to SPDIF interace
- Stereolab Reference XV-Ultra BNC-BNC cable
- Von Gaylord Audio LAD-L2 preamp with Shuguang Treasure CV-181z tubes.
- Von Gaylord Audio Nirvana 110 WPC triode mode monoblock amplifiers with Shuguang Treasure CV-181z input tubes and Ruby 6550 output tubes
- Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers on spikes
- Von Gaylord Audio Chinchilla interconnects from DAC to pre and pre to amps
- Von Gaylord Audio Legend 7000s power cord to preamp
- Von Gaylord Audio Chinchilla power cords to amps
- Audience powerChord e power cord to DAC
- Audience AU24e speaker cables
- Audio Magic liquid nano fuse in DAC
- Cork dampening lining DAC chassis

Room dimensions: 17 x 15, 16-18 ft cathedral ceiling peaked at the center of the room between listening position and speakers.

Speakers ~3 ft out to the drivers, 2 ft from right wall, 5 ft from left wall.
Listening position up against rear of room with large window with thick blinds directly behind.

Similar products
- Berkeley Alpha Dac Series 1
- Calyx 24/192 DAC
- Bel Canto DAC3
- Bel Canto DAC2.5
- MHDT Havana

Others not worth mentioning.
eugene81
Anyone know how many fuses are in the BADA DAC series 2 and what their values are?
I noticed the series 2 took a lot longer to break in than the original. The original took about a week, the series 2 about a month.
My dealer loaned me a berkeley audo alpha DAC 2 when my W4S DSD DAC 2 needed repair. And that was all i needed - i bought the berkeley dac. A whole new ball game.

It's been over 4 weeks waiting for delivery - they are really slow.

Joe