Review: Bedini Electronics BA-801 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

I have been in search of a Bedini 801 amplifier for quite some time. I finally found a beauty from a fellow Audiogon member. I am a jazz drummer and listen to mostly newer jazz artists and classical recordings. This amplifier just makes the Audio Physics sing with authority. The soundstage and imaging extends far beyond the speakers and just has that "i'm there" sense. I replaced a tube power amp with the Bedini and almost fell of my chair. The bass firmed up and the highs were not edgy at all. I could not be happier with this amp. It will be in my system for a long time. The only faults I can find with this amplifier are the use of a non removable power cord, and plastic binding posts. The best part of this amplifier is that although discontinued since about 1990, Bedini still has product support and repair service.
I had been told that Class a amps get very hot. I do not find this to be the case. It does get rather warm to the touch, but never too hot to touch.
Overall, I think this amplifier is the proverbial diamond in the rough.

Associated gear
Audio Physic new Sparks V4
CAL CL-15 CD player
Forte Model 2 Preamplifier
Synergistic research Alpha X2 Cables
Project xpression2 turntable

Similar products
Rotel RB980bx, B&K EX442 Sonata,
Rogue Audio 88 Magnum, Sonic Frontiers power 2, Anthem amp 1
skipper320

Showing 5 responses by bdp24

I still have the little 25/25, a popular choice for the original ("57") Quad loudspeaker.
Mariano, Bedini makes solid state amps only, so you'll have to look elsewhere for a "KT88 vintage" (KT88 is a tube). I don't know what you mean by "vintage", but there are plenty of nice new amps that will run KT88's, including the Music Reference RM-200 Mk.2. (currently included in Stereophile's Recommended Components list, if that matters to you ;-). There is one offered on Audiogon right now for $2400, a great deal.
Well I'll be! It's surprising to hear of a ss designer/builder getting into tubes after so long as a ss only company. I still have a 25/25, a nice little Class A amplifier.
Yeah autospec, it's the original version of the 25/25, not the Meg whatever version. I used it for years with a pair of old Quads, as did many others. That pairing is legendary.