Review: Audio Research Corporation HD 220 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

My musical tastes include primarily classical, jazz, folk/blues and some exceptional rock. Specific recordings can be discussed via phone @ 610-721-1304. Soundstaging, dynamics, transparency and coherence are paramount, while the correct tonality and warmth are of equal concern. In other words I need it all to be right or else I sell the stuff! My HD 220 has 300 hours on it at this point and it is exceptional indeed. My recent decent into Krell evo solid state gear left me wanting so I sold the rig and started anew.

When a system is in the "zone" for me it conveys lifelike dynamics, accurate tone, clarity with warmth and soundstaging to die for!! This amp does it like no other I've had on all types of music (taken as part of my current setup). One major note...USE THE STOCK POWER CORD!!! The HD 220 started to amaze me aftethunderousr I decided to try it's own power cord in place of my reference cords. As long as my ref 3 has a great power cord all is well. The amp conveys a sense of limitless power with explosive yet controlled dynamics...it is effortless but with great force and dynamic swing!! Treble is extended and full of sparkle but grainless and pure at the same time. Midrange is full and neutral with a tad of warmth, but not overdone. Bass is earth shaking and well defined with amazing definition. Focus and placement of instruments is the best I've heard. Width and depth of the soundstage is top notch as well. Palpability and presence are eerie baby...spooksville!!

Compared to the other great tube amps past and present it connects on excitement, dimensionality, dynamics and extension without the tube haze, lethargy and softness often found with their presentation. I prefer it over the 110 for real world reasons and for purely musical ones. Overall it takes one away with the music where very few other components take you!!

Money is no object for me ...the HD 220 is staying..it's that good!!

Associated gear
ARC Reference 3 preamp
Krell SACD standard V5.1
Krell Resolution 2 loudspeakers
MIT V2.1 Oracle IC's and speaker interfaces
Transparent MM power cord (ref 3)
MIT AC2 power cord (Krell SACD)
ARC stock power cord (HD 220)
Wattgate recepticles
Dedicated 20amp lines

Similar products
ARC VT100, VT200, VS110, VM220's, Ref 110, Ref 610T's
Krell FPB 600, 400cx, 350Mcx, evo 402
Levinson 336
128x128dave_b

Showing 3 responses by elberoth2

Did you have a chance to compare REf 110 to HD220 at home or at the dealer's showroom ?
You seem to change your mind 180 deg quite ... well, often.

You had written:

"The 220 gives me what I've always enjoyed about the best tube and solid state designs...dimensionality instead of paper cut outs and fixed images, roundness without bloat or hyper inflation of images, tonal accuracy without listening fatigue, warmth without haze or grain."

And now you are saying:

"Remember the bleached whitish sound of yor...only over time and after the rush of new purchases wears off can one ultimately understand a product. I give two thumbs down!"

Most of us are puzzled, to say at least !