Revel Studio 1, B&W 802N or Sonus Faber Cremonas

Where to start with this question. I am pretty much starting over with my system and I would like to get some opinions. I currently do not own anything but I have owned alot over the last 10 years. I have owned speakers from Revel, B&W and Sonus Faber (to name a few) but not the above mentioned. I enjoy a musical sound with excellent imaging and transparency. I am thinking about going with a Primare stack (Pre30, A32 amp and CD31) or a Parasound stack (JC2 pre, A21 amp) and the Ayre CX-7e cd player. Or the Mcintosh MA7000 integrated with the Ayre Cx-7e cd player. Cables are unknown at this time. I would just like to get opinions on which speakers with which electronics. I would be happy with any of the speakers but I am unsure on the electronics. Your comments are very much appreciated!!
Ag insider logo xs@2xbrandonosman23

Showing 4 responses by mtdking

Revel, Mac and Ayre sounds good. The Revel would give you better bass over the Sonus but the Sonus would sound a bit more natural. Don't like B&W at all.
For cables if you can swing Kubala Emotions you would be rewarded. Emotions are great cables and really make a difference unlike most $$$$ cables.
Toetapfactor,

What are you talking about! Just because there are newer models doesn't mean the old models are junk. Pretty soon there will be Salon 3 then are salon 2 junk? Your mindset is ass backwards. I think buying the old model is a very smart thing to do. It's a great way to save money and it will sounds great. Then why would he buy current speakers that are going to be updated and improved one day. Makes no sense.

You are wrong with buying the best possible speakers and short changing yourself on electronics. I've heard $50,000 electronics on $1000 Sony speakers sound amazing. It was done as a demo to prove this. Then they put $2000 electronics on $35,000 speakers and it sound worse then the Sony's. Much worse.

BTW Give me the old Salon's over the new any day. Give me the old Cremona's over the new ones.

Brandonosman23 you are doing the right thing as long as you plan it out like you are. You will have a great system buying off audiogon and buying last generation model's.
Maybe he doesn't want to overspend on speakers and buy electronics over time. Maybe he wants to buy it all at once, ever think of that. It's his money not yours. Why are you getting so upset about it? Does this have any affect on you? My god you are over the top. The question wasn't in what order should he buy. The question was what combo would work best. He's a grown man and I'm sure if he's looking at this level he's been around the block and knows what he is doing.

Did you ever think these speakers might be the best possible speakers for him? Maybe he has a budget for the system and he can't upgrade his electronics over time. It's none of our business he just asked a simple question.

You own Dynaudio C4, maybe you should have bought the best speakers you could :). I think I would keep quite if I own those.....

"I also stated that upfront gear doesn't matter if your speakers are shit." Hey Captain Obvious I think we all know that but the speakers he listed are not shit so I don't know why you keep saying it.

Yes give me the old Salon over the new one all day. I don't buy "high end gear" made in China.....