Revel M22, Paradigm S2 or B&W 805S

I'm new. Been lurking a while. I want to upgrade my pair of CDM1NT's as 2 channel mains. I'll be using a Denon AVR-3805 for the time being with the possibility of adding a 2 ch. amp. down the road. I've heard the Revel M22's, the new 805S, but not the Paradigm S2. I have heard Paradigm S4's and was quite impressed. They handled my Telarc Also Sprach Zarathustra like no other small speaker I ever heard. But the S4's are a rather large for what I'm looking for. Are the S2's close? The Revel M22's were also quite impressive. Aesthetically I prefer the B&W's... I also have other B&W stuff (center, small sub and rears), but sonically I have reservations about how they do baritone male vocals and handle dynamics. The dealer's new demo pair may not be broken in. Any thoughts?
thechair

Showing 3 responses by brianmgrarcom

Chris,

It appears he was listening to the 805S, not the S805, TheChair can verify this.

Second, the 805S is not the same speaker as the S805 w/o the nicer finish.
Hi Chris,

I agree, it can be confusing.

I will not claim this is all the changes, but the 805S has a first order crossover and the S805 has a 3rd order. Dimensionally they are very close but they are slightly different nonetheless, they do not weigh the same either, with the 805S 5 lbs heavier. What all changed cabinet wise I don't know, but they are different. As for the bass/midrange driver, I don't know if that is the same or not. The binding posts look the same, but the Signatures are silver, they are gold on B&W's previous and current line, I have no idea the difference, if any, between these.
Hi Chris,

FWIW, the entire new 800 series now uses a 1st order cross over.

I have never heard Merlin speakers.

I have no idea if the S805's are suited to one design over the other, BUT the DK amp is not a low powered amp, it is 160 (?) watts and does not lack in power. The rest of your question can only be speculation and one could only know by trying each set up.

I will say this, the S805's for me (w/the Classe) have been the best speakers I have ever owned.