Revel F228BE

For all you Revel lovers out there and those who should be. 
I just received my new Revel F228BE speakers and after only about 12 hours on them i must say they sound absolutely amazing. 
Spectacular mids and highs, great solid and detailed rhythmic bass.  Everything i loved about the F206s and F208s but much more refined, better bass, better soundstage and hear deaper into the music. They also play louder much more easily being more efficient. 
I'm using an Ayre K-5xe MP preamp, Levinson 532H amplifier with Oppo105d playing into a Benchmark DAC2.  Cant wait til there are another 100 hours on these, I'm super happy with them already. Truly amazing speakers!
lnitm

Showing 10 responses by chrissain

I am breaking mine in now, they are really amazing speakers. Two other friends of mine have also purchased 228be and love them, I think they are a breakthrough at the price point. 
Everyone who has come over to listen to them have been very impressed, including some very jaded people who never seem to really like anything lol. My Rogue Audio m180s are going back to Rogue for upgrades, can't wait to get them back. 
So if the new driver material doesn't sound any better why are charging twice as much for a f208? That makes literally no sense. Why do the 228s sound very different from the 208? I have now owned both and they sound very different.  Tool is saying this for what motive? 
I would argue with these points he is wrong, you can measure the lower distortion in the newer drivers vrs old. My 208 tweeter extended to 22k, my 228s extend to 44k, that is a big difference, Revel also claims twice the power handling, this is based in fact through measured response, not marketing. 
If Revel actually cared that much about marketing they should make a made in the USA model and pick the price out of thin air. Go after the Wilson market and beat them at their own game, I know many, many audiophiles and well of clients who would never buy Revel no matter how good it sounds because they are not made in the USA. They suround themselves with locally well crafted goods, and would never buy a speaker made in China. 
Yes, the cheaper Revel lines are made in China, but I actually don't know where the 228 is made. Initm is correct that the 208s were made in Indonesia. I will tell you that auditioning them is still a good idea, they are stunning sounding, they actually sound better than most speakers I have heard regardless of cost. The natural timbre and driver intergration just sounds more like real music, real life.  
there is no choice when it comes to phones or computers, but there is a choice for the well off when it comes to HiFi. Revel used to made in California, now it's not. And yes I know lots of people that would buy Magico or Wilson, but not Revel, just because of where they are made. I personally own the 228be so that should tell you where I stand on the issue.

I had a record party last night and I have to tell you, the 228 be is just an awesome speaker.  Everyone who came over were just blown away by them. If the recording is good they have a clarity that sounds more like reall life than almost any speaker I have heard, regardless of price. Instruments  and voices just hang in the air, and the depth!  For a rather large speaker they do an amazing disappearing act.  The dispersion is increadable, you can sit all the way over to one side of the room and the soundstage does not collapse like most speakers. The power handling is over the top compared to the f208,  I usually don't listen that loud but last night we were partying so I was cranking it, for the first time ever I could turn the volume all the way up on uncompressed recordings and the 228be were just unflappable, crazy!  I am very impressed by the 228be, People  who say metal or ceramic drivers are fatiguing? NOT! people who say ported bass is boomy and you can hear the port? NOT! I read a comment on Revel house sound as "boring" and it made me laugh  out loud, these speakers are anything but boring, they are musical and fun to listen to, what more do you want? The Revel design team should be proud of themselves. Bravo Revel!!! 
I had a record party last night and I have to tell you, the 228 be is just an awesome speaker.  Everyone who came over were just blown away by them. If the recording is good they have a clarity that sounds more like reall life than almost any speaker I have heard, regardless of price. Instruments  and voices just hang in the air, and the depth!  For a rather large speaker they do an amazing disappearing act.  The dispersion is increadable, you can sit all the way over to one side of the room and the soundstage does not collapse like most speakers. The power handling is over the top compared to the f208,  I usually don't listen that loud but last night we were partying so I was cranking it, for the first time ever I could turn the volume all the way up on uncompressed recordings and the 228be were just unflappable, crazy!  I am very impressed by the 228be, People  who say metal or ceramic drivers are fatiguing? NOT! people who say ported bass is boomy and you can hear the port? NOT! I read a comment on Revel house sound as "boring" and it made me laugh  out loud, these speakers are anything but boring, they are musical and fun to listen to, what more do you want? The Revel design team should be proud of themselves. Bravo Revel!!!