Revel F208 vs. Paradigm 75F: Auditioning

Hello folks

I mentioned that I was gonna be auditioning some speakers on this other thread: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1445663532

You can see the electronics I have there as well - a 40W tube amplifier.

The dealer I will be visiting on Sunday has the following speakers that I had originally considered - specifically - Revel, Totem, Sonus Faber and Paradigm. I wanted to check out the F208, the Venere 2.5, the Totem Arro, specifically. However, the dealer dissuaded me from trying any of those - and recommended that I just try the Paradigm Prestige 75F.

Now, I know people generally say fairly good things about the Paradigm - and so I am happy to check them out as well. However, is there any reason I shouldn't check the Revel as well? My dealer thinks they would need a lot more power than I have to be driven efficiently and that it won't even be worth checking them out. Is this true? Do they really need that much more power to work effectively? Does the fact that I look to upgrading the upstream electronics eventually make a difference?

My hesitation comes from the fact that the Paradigm 75F is priced exactly at my price point ($3000) and the Revel is cheaper, though equally well reviewed.
badri

Showing 1 response by mmeysarosh

The Revel F208 are not very demanding, but are best served by amps that can deliver into 4 ohm load as its in the 4-7 ohm range through the audio band.

That particular Paradigm doesn't have a test I was able to find, but its larger brother does and it does appear to be little lighter load, but it still would best be served by a 4 ohm capable amp as it dips down in that region, just not as long or often as the Revel.

I would not take any dealers word on dismissing a listen to other speakers. We all have different priorities out of our systems and what works best for one might not for another.