Revamp Garrard 301, keep Oracle V or move along?

Hello,

I have an Oracle V with turbo,SME V & Koetsu RSP cartridge cable is Hovland Music Groove.

I also have a very nice condition cream Garrard grease bearing 301 for which I built a CLD plinth weighing in at some 60lbs with a modified Rega300 for experimental purposes. Image here:

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?u=127&f=DSC00407.JPG&v=f&UserImages=127&session=&&moniker=AJ&invite=&w=675&h=506

Preamp is a Aesthetix Io Signature w/volume controls and 2 power supplies. I also use some restored vintage pre's used from time to time: Marantz 1,Arc SP8 etc. Amps are Berning Zh270, Wyetech Topaz, and vintage Marantz 2 or Citation II.

Whats my best bang for the buck?: invest into bearings and commercial plinths/platters and a 12" arm with the Garrard or sell the Oracle and Garrard and move on: thinking TW acustic or SME20?

I like the SME V because its easy and I have less time now to fuss around but am open to a clearly superior piece that's not astronomical: Phantom or Triplaner?... would love a Breur or Gradenza but the $ must get much stronger for that.

This solely for a change and to consolidate and make room nothing very wrong.. I use Quad ESLs so dynamics are not a strong point...(that's another thread!...looking for HE single driver speakers eventually)..So on the front end those experienced with the revamped Garrards do you have a opinion or advice?...

Thanks, Nkj
nkj

Showing 1 response by hifidaddy

I have an older Loricraft PS in use for my 301. Although we have very clean 230V/50Hz here in Germany - compared to the US, the PS has a major impact on sound quality: all the bass region cleans up, timing gets considerably better, and the faint hint of one-note bass, which might be detectable on one or other record, disappears completely.

best regards, Hartmut