Retubing CJ 140 amp

Has anyone retubed a CJ 140? It appears all tubes are Sovtek. Has anyone tried Svetlala 6550? Any better or worse?
Also small tubes replacements ,any suggestions.
Many Thanks
Billy
billyg

Showing 2 responses by colesey

I've just received a cryo'd nos 6h23 (6922 replacement) from www.tubeman.com; this is already sounding very promising despite despite not having burnt in.
hi guys, i'm glad that someone has started this thread as i'm in the process of buying a 140 and was keen to find out what more performance can be squeezed out of it. Whilst I realise CJ have voiced it using current production tubes, decent nos tubes can probably improve matters further. I did approach CJ on the subject, however they gently tried to dissuade me from replacing any of the tubes. In the case of the KT88/90s, they pointed out that achieving the correct bias may be difficult given the led system used. I suspect my initial route will be to try a nice nos 6922 as a starting point, maybe an amperex pq or mullard. The 6h30s are more challanging however I've got some cryo'd versions on order from www.tubeman.com. HAL-O tube dampers are also likely to make an appearance, and I may start saving up for some more blackplate tung-sol 6550s......Has anyone else got any other experiences / ideas to contribute? Also what power cords work well?