Request your two cents - BW804, Theil 2.x, or ...

There are not too many options for me to sit back and compare speakers, so I may need to purchase something unseen/unheard and would like to narrow down my choices.  Considering new/used and would like to spend between $2-4k. Looking at B&W804 (maybe 803) and Theil. 

I will be replacing 20 year old pair of Hales Concept Two's. They are great speakers but I would like a bit more of low end thump. I have tried pairing them with a REL reference sub, but it did not integrate well and was returned.

Any suggestions with my current set-up:
Mc352, VPI TT, Adcom 750 (Pre), EAR 834, Hales Concept Two (speaker). Listen to mostly vinyl (Jazz, Rock, Acoustic...)

Appreciate constructive feedback
abp689

Showing 4 responses by abp689

jafant, 

What do you think of the difference between the 2.4 and 2.7? Really looking for more bass the my current 2-way Hales can deliver.

Yeah, good question I did not consider. Right now, I have some homemade cables that sound very good, but cables would probably be next years purchase (Kimber,...). 

Whats your suggested pairing?
The MC-352 is solid state 350W (8/4/2 ohm).

Thanks for the info, I will reference later as Tubes are a future goal!
Believe the 803's are what I want, but not sure if I can swing it this year. Maybe save funds for another year if needed. Agreed - subs probably won't work for me.
All - Thanks for the advice. 

I may head down to Indy or Chicago and listen to so used old stock. If I can A/B, I'll make the call. Otherwise, I think I am going for either 804 or 2.4 without an audition. 

Give my historical perspective, I will want to upgrade again in few years. So maybe 803's or something else. 

Thanks again!