Replacing the SME 10 stock tonearm

I would appreciate any input on this.

My friend has a SME 10 turntable with the stock 309 tonearm. This has a removable headshell, but removing the headshell is not as simple as removing with a standard mount headshell. Due to age he has decreased dexterity and diminished eyesight, so removing the headshell has resulted in some damaged cartridges.

I would appreciate input regarding compatibility and experience replacing the stock arm with a standard mount removable headshell tonearm. I would especially appreciate input on what might be a drop in replacement with a removable standard mount headshell.

I don’t have current easy access to the turntable as my friend lives in a different part of the country. I plan to fly in for a visit and make the change for my friend during my visit. So to the extent I can have what I need and be prepared when I arrive will optimize my opportunity to accomplish this over a weekend. 

Thanks for your help with this

Jim Perry
jperry
@jperry

Huge props to you for helping your friend. Given his age and health, may be you can pitch him pros of switching to digital streaming. Just my two cents.
@lalitk 

Thanks for the note. I tried that before and set up a Sonus system at his house. I also had a Sonus digital system. The Sonus was a pain, and didn’t sound good enough. I now have a Innous Zen III with a Line Magnetic DAC. It sounds good, but not as good as my analog system.

I might give it another try with something Innous based. Good suggestion

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
If I recall correctly Graham arms used to be available with SME-style bases.  I don't know if this is still available.

One other thing to consider if you want to be prepared ahead of time is the phono lead.  SME connectors are rotated 90 degrees from other brands and this could lead to space constraints.  I am not familiar with the SME 10 in this respect so can't comment, but it is something  to think about.

Bill