Replacing Parasound p7, but with what?

The rest of the system is a Nad c565BEE player and a Halo A21.  Speakers are Sierra 2 or Tannoy Saturn DC6, depending on my mood.  With Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cables and MA3 Morrows with Eichmann bullets.  Also one pair of  Silver stager Solids.  I've got a iPhone doc that passes digital into the Nad, which does a pretty good job with the processing.

It'a half open basement concept, about 500 square feet, but the main listening area is about 17 by18 with 9 foot ceilings, carpeted.  The sound is on the warm side, I fine that the top frequencies are reduced and I've heard that that's Parasound's sonic signature.  I've also read that their amps are better than their preamps.  Also, I suspect that the imaging isn't as good as it could be for that kind of money with the pre.  

So, any thoughts or suggestions?  I've considered the Wyred STP-SE, Nad C165BEE and selling the amp too for Nad's new c388 integrated.  Emotiva won't do it for me, but I'd like a little more top end.
213runnin

Showing 10 responses by 213runnin

I've received other communication suggesting it's not the Parasound stuff.  When I compared using the same tracks, it seemed to me that a Nad C356BEE had a little more high frequency detail, though it was not as refined as the Halo gear.

I'll try swapping in a different cd player tonight.  I don't have much in the way of speaker cable options, but 14 gauge fine strand copper right now.
Just to be clear, the C356BEE is an integrated amp and the Nad C565BEE was their top CD player.  With an ipod doc I can connect my phone and pass digital to the C565BEE as it has digital inputs and also functions as a DAC.  Either way, thank you both for your thoughts, perhaps I do have to do some more experimenting.
I think the JC2 would be out of my budget at this point. I’d like to keep the amp for sure unless a really fine integrated is an option. I listened to the P7 again after I started this thread, and it really does sound pretty nice. I’m just wondering is there a stand alone 2 channel pre that would supersede it for say under 1100 new or used.

As for a replacement preamp, I’m kind of scratching my head for something that has at least a few inputs and a phono stage.  I don't need to integrate it into a theater set up, I have a separate system for that.
The room has the usual wallboard walls and ceiling.  I didn't mention that aside of the 17x18 ft room, there is an offshoot, an "L" that is 10 x 16 with 8 ft ceiling.  the whole space is kind of a work out/multi use/storage area.  The main part has only furniture around the edges;  cd rack, big bluray/LP rack, computer desk, treadmill.  But I'm just trying for a little more air in the sound.  There is nothing between the listening chair and the system, about 9-10 feet.  

Perhaps as several have said, the P7 or A21 are not at fault.  I'll try the Pioneer cd player and maybe swap out the cables for some cheap fine strand copper.  I was going to sell the P7, but it looks like I'd need to either increase the budget by a fair bit or go with tubes.  And I'm not interested in tubes either.
Thank you, yes, I've experimented with speaker placement extensively, and have stands that have the tweeters at ear level.  I didn't get a chance to change out my cd player last night, but will do so today and also cables.
Nice to hear from so many, this really is a great place to bounce ideas off the walls.  
Okay, I just finished A/B'ing different cd players to see if my spare had any more top end or air than the one in my main system.  There was no difference that I could tell.  

It's something that I can't figure out, and I'm one of those people who has a hard time letting things go sometimes!  In my car system using the same track I can hear more top end extension, and I guess I could chalk it up to the speaker's frequency response or just the gains I have set for the fronts at the amp.  

I think I need to just enjoy the music and listen to the music instead of the system.  
No sir, the tweeters are fine.  When I tuned the system I needed little gain on them because they are in the corners of the dash and project into the cabin almost too well with the windshield.  They are crossed over at 3000, so a lot of the voice and up is in the tweeters.

As for my home speaker cabinets, they are on stock spikes which I painstakenly leveled and seem to decouple fairly well.  The platform idea I should look into however!
Oops, sorry.  When you quoted my comment about the car system, I assumed you were referring to the car tweeters.  The home speaker tweeters are not damaged either.
By the way, thanks for all of your contributions, in reading this thread, some things became apparent on my part.  A) I did most of my posts at work between calls and things vying for my time.  As I tried to figure out at work what was going on at home, and in my car, I forgot some things, and realize I blamed the P7 for being warm sounding when the issue was my car.

The car tweeters are located in the corners of the dash, just below the windshield.  As one can understand, the dash and windshield form a kind of megaphone that directs the highs into the cabin in kind of a compressed fashion that will affect the sound.  So when I noticed that my car system played certain tracks with more highs present, that was most likely the reason why.

Then the tweeters frequency response is most likely higher than typical home speakers as the car environment is noisy and pretty bad for sound reproduction.  So after reconsidering, I realize that I was blaming my home system, and P7, for something it had nothing to do with.  

I was actually thinking of selling it, trying to chase that last 3 or 4 percent of sonic bliss.  Gosh, that would have been a mistake.