Replacements for Quad 989's ??

I am looking for a replacement speaker for my pair of Quad 989’s. I love the Quads, but miss the bottom end. The lower freq of the Quads is very true, but lacks impact. Most types of music, of all forms do contain a fair amount of bottom end content. Certainty live music does. But here is the problem. I hate to give up the open nature of the Quads, their soundstage, depth, and accuracy.

Adding subs to Quads is hit and miss. I am aware of some other panel speakers that may have a better bottom end, but the price is a tad out of my range.

My Specs.

The room is 21 x 23, with a 9 foot ceiling that slopes up to 16 feet. The back wall of the 23 foot ( 16 foot high part ), is open for 16 of the 23 feet. The Quads are on the front 23 foot wall, well spaced off the walls and sides. Listening is not really near field, but the Quads are about 12 – 13 feet away from the listening position.

What make ?? model ?? of speaker will give me close to the Quads best features, but give me some increased bottom end, with out a one KW amp.

Current electronics are:

Bryston 2b-sst amp
Bryston 26 preamp, with MC and MM
Cary 303/300 CD
VPI TT
Kimber IC and Spk cables

The Bryston 2b-sst is a good match for the Quads, but may have to go.

Now the bad part. I’d like to keep the speakers under 12 grand new or used.

Any suggestion’s ??

Thanks in advance
128x128gammastrep

Showing 1 response by rhljazz

My local dealer has 2805's set up with a Wilson Benesch Torus sub and impact is one of the strengths. It is more than just low frequency rumble and shake, it is a seamless extension of the Quads bottom end. Pretty damn impressive!