Replacement Motor for a Vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable

My son owns a vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable.  The platter is slipping on start-up an on play.  My son has isolated the problem to the motor.  Any suggestions on where to source a replacement motor?? Thanks
bifwynne

Showing 2 responses by oldhvymec

The motors don’t slip the pully does, MOST of the Thoren motors will work.. In other word, there are only a few that WON’T. (111,121,124, 224,134,135,185) They use the E50 motor. The real new stuff no idea.. The older Thoren.. Two motors. E50 and (there was a replacement for it) and the OTHER.. what you have..

ALL the rest will usually work (145-166s).. Just a butt connector change or a motor kit. The motors CANNOT slip.. The pully can. One drop of super glue in the center of the motor pully and let it set over night.
Sometimes you have to glue the bottom of the pully, you have to pull the motor and turn it upside down, so you don’t drip glue around the spindle and seize it in the housing..

You can test it by simply holding the spindle coming out of the motor housing with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and see if the pully spins on the shaft. IF you can spin the pully on the shaft it requires a simple repair.. If not the belt is slipping on the outside of the drive pully.

The only goof is if you get a motor with a 50 hz pully, LOL don’t do that.. you’ll get pissed..

Clean the pullies with rubbing alcohol and let them dry, for belt slippage, and a new belt..

LISTEN to the old mechanic... I use to sell my 160 or 165s for close to 1500.00 with a heavy plinth (60lb) and 2K with a SME tonearms.. They still sell for that.. They are NOT a throw away AT ALL.

Every now and then one of my TT come up for sale, usually rose wood veneers I did 15 in Teac, 20 in rosewood, and 22 in mahogany before they ban the selling of Brazilian rosewood, and made it so hard to get decent mahogany.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Thorens-TD160-Turntable-in-Original-Box-Serial-252928/303927982087?...

Stone stock.. 1500.00, heck of a table if you know what your doing.. Even if ya don’t..

I’m pretty sure I have at least 3 or 4 motors if you can’t fix it.
I’m looking at a pull from a 145 or 47 right now and a 165 that just arrived 2 weeks ago.. A lot of parts if you know where to look..

One drop of Super glue should fix it though..

Best of luck OP..
LOL I forgot about them running backwards.. I've seen that a time or two..
 Cap kit, knock kit, belt and dampening kit are about 125.00.

Regards