Replacement Motor for a Vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable

My son owns a vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable.  The platter is slipping on start-up an on play.  My son has isolated the problem to the motor.  Any suggestions on where to source a replacement motor?? Thanks
bifwynne

Showing 4 responses by lewm

"330MF" = 330 microfarads.  It's an unfortunate fact that in some cases some companies abbreviated "microfarad" with "MF".  Otherwise, you might think MF means "millifarads", in which case 330MF would equal 330,000 uF, not .33uF.  That would be one big mother of a capacitor.
If there is an existing run or start capacitor mounted external to the motor, its value (in microfarads) and voltage rating will be written on the can.  That should be no mystery.
"A motor capacitor such as a start capacitor or run capacitor is an electrical capacitor that alters the current to one or more windings of a single phase AC induction motor to create a rotating magnetic field. There are two common types of motor capacitors, run capacitors and start capacitors.

Some single-phase AC electric motors require a "run capacitor" to energize the second-phase winding (auxiliary coil) to create a rotating magnetic field while the motor is running.

Start capacitors briefly increase motor starting torque and allow a motor to be cycled on and off rapidly. A start capacitor stays in the circuit long enough to rapidly bring the motor up to a predetermined speed, which is usually about 75% of the full speed, and is then taken out of the circuit, often by a centrifugal switch that releases at that speed. Afterward the motor works more efficiently with a run capacitor."

If this is the capacitor in question, it is usually physically large and is mounted outside the motor housing proper.  Is the TD160 motor "single-phase induction type".  If so, then it would have such a capacitor. This helpful reference says the motor is a 16-pole, 2-phase type:

https://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_td_160_dept_.htm

How much do you love this turntable, and how much are you willing to spend? If your budget is large, you might consider the eclipse motor and motor controller system offered by SOTA. I think it could be adapted for the Thorens. The ensemble is not cheap. The performance will be far superior to what you had before, in terms of speed stability.