Replace Meridian 408.24 with Ayre CX-7 CD player

I have the Meridian 408.24 CD player (balanced to amp) with an Ayre AX-7e Integrated amplifier (just purchased) and ProAc 2.5 Speakers. My Dealer suggests I replace the Meridian 408.24 with the Ayre CX-7. I heard the Ayre CD Player in the store and it sounded very good but with different speakers. It is going to cost about $2,000+ and I have questions if the improvements are worth it and cannot decide what to do. What do you recommend? Comments?
hgeifman
At this level it's probably a matter a preference. Both units are very good and well reviewed. Most people would think you are insane for buying the gear you currently own. Only you can make the call on spending an "additional" $2000 for a CD player. There may be a certain "synergy" between the Ayre components since they were likely R&D'd together. This is something to consider. For some, cosmetics count, a stack of all matching gear always looks good.

In the old days you could take gear home and try it out. If you can work something out with your dealer you are lucky. You can always buy used on Audiogon and then sell it for little or no loss if you don't like it.
take it home, there's no other way to know.... The 508.24 is no slouch, mind you!
I finally purchased the Ayre CX-7e CD player to go with my Ayre AX-7e Integrated amp. Breakin time is 100+ hours so the unit is still cooking. It sounds good with my ProAC 2.5 speakers but really needs more "cooking" time. I sold my Meridian 508.24 (upgraded 508.20).