Replace Krell Showcase Preamp mode with 280P?

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a 2ch preamp for my Krell 300cx and Proac Response 3.8 speakers.

Currently I'm using the Krell Showcase Pre/Pro in preamp mode for 2ch playback, but would like to incorporate a dedicated 2 channel preamp to gain some sonic improvement over the Showcase’s preamp mode. Theatre throughput would be a bonus, but not essential.

Currently I'm contemplating the Krell 280P, has anyone compared this 280P against the Showcase PrePro in preamp mode?

Thanks
ziffle

Showing 2 responses by daviderow

Hello,
I would also like to hear the KAV280p preamp. But I can tell you that I just went from my Showcase Processor's preamp mode back to my Krell KRC3 preamp and I am SHOCKED at how truly awful the Showcase is as a preamp! The KRC3 does everything better (imaging, soundstaging, detail,) but most noticable is the dynamics. The KRC3 is so effortless and powerful. The Showcase sounds practically broken in comparison - it is so soft and wimpy and lacks focus. It's a great surround sound processor, but it just doesn't cut it as a stereo preamp. And for what it cost, I am very disappointed in this discovery.
David.
Tom,
I agree that the Showcase was not designed to be a high-end preamp. And I wasn't expecting it be as good as the KRC3. However, what I wasn't expecting in this price range was for it be this poor. Especially when Krell went to the trouble to include a preamp mode which bypasses all the digital circuitry. You would expect a Krell product to at least sound good - this is barely serviceable. How nice it would be to have a processor which is also a great 2 channel preamp. (The HTS7.1 isn't any better in preamp mode, I auditioned it first.) After all, it touts 7 channel output for high-resolution audio sources such as SACD and DVD-A. I suspect you aren't going to be able to hear much difference between SACD and CD through this processor. It just doesn't have the resolution or dynamics. Again, I am very, very disappointed.
David.