Replace B&W-M802's w/2 way monitors Merlins? ..

I've owned a pair of B&W--M802-S3's for about 4 years now--they were my first real "high end" component. Since then I've built the rest of my system around them (almost all used): VTL TL2.5 preamp, Rega P25 w/Benz Glider, ARC VT100 MKII, CAL CL25 CDP, medium priced Nordost & St. Wire IC's, & cheap Monster spkr. cables (I know, that last could be a problem). My listening room is approx. 16ft x 12ft.

Until recently I've finally become very happy with the sound of my system. But the other night I wanted to try out my (unused for awhile) VTL-ST85 power amp, & to do that I hooked it up instead of the ARC, & plugged in my B&W CDM1SE's (so all other source components/preamp were as listed above). I was kind of blown away by the imaging & sound-stage of the small B&W's, & also the nice tube sound of the VTL--felt like I was hearing much more a sense of "space", the speakers disappeared much more, etc. So far I'm chalking up what I liked about that sound to A. some of the inherent advantages of 2 way monitor spkrs., & B. also to the VTL sound, which I think (IMHO, only!) is a lot more seductive than most ARC products.

So I started thinking again about replacing the 802's with small monitor speakers--like Totems, Pro-Acs, possibly Dyne-Audios, but the small Merlin's (TSM's) have intrigued me for quite awhile, for several reasons, two of which is that they are relatively easy to drive, & sound great with tubes. Then today I came upon a used pair of the latest TSM's, in a special order finish, with nice stands, for about what I could hopefully sell my 802's for..........

Don't get me wrong, the 802's in the system I described sound excellent--but I think perhaps a wee bit congested, & analytical. And I think maybe the VT100 contributes to the analytical sound, as good as it is. Also, some people talk about how difficult the 802's are to drive/make sound good. Someone today suggested that even a VT100 may not really be enough power for them........I think the bottom line for me was that the small VTL & small B&W's (even if those speakers are not the last word in resolution, etc.) were much more relaxing, & seductive, to listen to. So anyway, I have to make this decision on the Merlin TSM's......Any feedback or advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Steve
steveaudio

Showing 1 response by hotcorocket

I sold my Series 's after 8 years and also after i had all the tweaks: Northcreek Xovers, the S Anchor stands and a Anodyne filter. I have the VSM's. I'm not sure if the TSM's will fulfill you bass requirements.