Replace 35" TV with something bigger

I have built a great surround sound system around my old 35" television, which works well, but is pretty small when watching widescreen DVDs. What do you suggest for a larger screen? My 19x16 room can be dimmed, but can not be made completely dark(except at night). I need to put my center channel speaker somewhere also.(currently under the 35" TV)
beam

Showing 3 responses by chaskelljr2001

Sean:

I have the upmost opportunity to buy a "Video Essentials" Calibration DVD off of "E-bay" WELL BELOW retail (and believe it or not, it will be from someone from MY hometown...... Washington, D. C.). After reading this thread for about the last two days, I see that you do nothing but swear by THIS DVD, and I am coming to the conclusion that anyone who is SERIOUSLY into home theater SHOULD not be without this DVD. I see that it retails for over $40.00 on "Amazon". But I can get off of "E-bay" for WELL below that (I am going to bid on a couple of them tonight..... that way, if one of them fall through, I'll still be in the running for the other one). Now, what I want to know from you is this: The version I am bidding on came out in 1998. Is this the only version that has ever came out??? And is this the current version?? Or has this DVD been revised since then?? If the 1998 DVD is the current version, then I am going to go ahead and put my bids in tonight. If not, then I'll go ahead and pay retail just so I'll have the up to date version. I know I have an analog/interlaced display right now (a 27-Inch Panasonic CT-27SF37), but when I purchase my HDTV RPTV within the next two years, I am going to find this disc an INDISPENSIBLE tool then, as since I am going to be paying in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 for a television, I want to make sure I am getting all of the picture that I'll be paying for then.

Comments????

--Charles--
Sean, Angela and Swampwalker:

I would like to thank all three of you for influencing my decision to purchase a "Video Essentials" DVD. As I feel that I am as serious about home theater as all three of you, I feel that this DVD is an indispensible tool that is necessary for getting all of the performance that I have paid for out of MY home theater. I just won one on an auction on "E-Bay" myself. I am getting one off of "E-Bay" for $23.36 (which includes shipping and insurance.... my price before shipping and insurance was $18.26....... and considering how much it will cost a tech to come out and calibrate my TV ($150.00+), I think that's going to be the best $25.00 I'll ever spend).

However though, if any of you already own a HDTV set, just note that Joe Kane will be coming out similar disc pretty soon that is designed specifically for HDTVs and Progressive Scan DVD Players. But I am sure that the current version will have its uses for HDTVs as well. I don't know how much this new disc will cost. But, just know that it will be coming out pretty soon, if it hasn't already. Just a friendly heads up for you all.

--Charles--
Perfectimage:

I happen to get my "Video Essentials" DVD on E-Bay for just under $25.00 (including shipping and handling), and bought it from a hometown guy (which makes it even sweeter). So far, I have used it twice, and let me tell you, my DVDs have never looked better after I have used "Video Essentials" to calibrate my TV. But I must say that television broadcasts look pale as hell by comparison after looking at a DVD. I have to reset my TV's controls constantly after looking at a DVD. Makes me sort of wonder, are the networks using crappy signals when they are broadcasting their shows??? I think what I must do is come up with a medium somewhere, meaning that I may have to make a note as to what my movies settings are after I use "Video Essentials", and make a note as to what settings I use when I am watching broadcast TV. That way, I can reset the TV controls to those respectable positions when I am watching DVDs or just watching TV.

And now, back to the subject of TVs. I am also in the market for a RP HDTV right now, and will continue to do so for the next year or so. The sets I am looking at though, range anywhere from 42-Inches to about 50-Inches. And I am looking at sets from Mitsubishi, Panasonic and Toshiba (with me leaning a little toward the Toshibas right now, as they seem to offer that elusive balance of picture, performance, and features at an attractive price). Those sets range anywhere from $2,000.00 to about $3,000.00. I believe that I am going to end up with a set along those parameters. But now, if I want to dream a little, then I'll be happy to take a Runco PlasmaWall PL-61cx, a 61-Inch Plasma set, for a cool $32K. Now, how's that for dreaming and drooling?? :)