Replace 12AU7 with 6SN7 ?

Hello Guys !
I own Ayon Triton (integrated, but use only the Power section) with 6 12AU7 an 8 KT88.
I read in some threads that the 12AU7 can be easily replaced by 6SN7 (which I have 4 of them and enjoy in my Preamp).
This to be done by a "socket converter" (available on eBay) which internally makes the required wiring for the filaments to allow the replacement.
The reported results were positive.
I asked the manufacturer the same question and the answer was "straight forward", "quote":

DO not use 6SN7 or any others as the original types are. IMPORTANT – otherwise your amp will be destroyed.

Does anybody have any experience with replacing drivers like 12AU7 to 6SN7 in Pre or Power ?

thanks.
amiglick

Showing 2 responses by reynolds853

Amiglick,

I own a Triton 1 and if you don't mind me asking, I'm curious about what is your goal for considering this change?

Also, what 12AU7s are you presently running in the amp?
Amiglick,

I'm just curious, but since you said that you are using the Triton as an amp only, already driving it with a 6SN7 based pre-amp, is your motivation to reduce your system's footprint by eliminating the separate pre-amp?

You are fortunate too to be supported by a "tube guy" in whom you have confidence, but since that is already the case, it left me wondering what advice you intended to solicit here? The members that responded with their technical advice certainly seemed conscientious and I'm sure would be willing to again provide their learned council, but perhaps you were looking for comments related to some other aspect of your project?

Your project is an interesting one, though, as the Triton 3 design includes 6SJ7 tubes along with the 12AU7s. I have been told that the 6SN7 tube provides greater resolution than the 12AX7 family, and perhaps that is why Ayon included a tube from the 6SN7 family in the current design. But that makes me wonder if there is another option to your project, which would be to sell your Triton and preamp and get a Triton 3 which has been designed to include a tube from that family. That would certainly seem like a less risky proposition. I have owned 6SN7 based preamps and had the opportunity to try RCA and Sylvania tubes, but I have no idea if the 6SJ7 will afford much of an opportunity for tube rolling. If that is one of your goals then the Triton 3 may not be an attractive option. But since you already have a 6SN7 based preamp, the motivation for your project remains unclear to me.

Prior to getting my Triton 1 I mentioned to the salesman that I was going to replace the NOS 12AU7s that they had put in the unit with the Telefunken tubes from my mono blocks. His reply was to caution me to make sure they were good tubes since the Triton "takes its tubes seriously." Exactly what he meant by that I don't know, or even if it is a meaningful statement, but I would certainly take from his remark that changing tube types in the piece would not be a good idea.

Finally, if increased resolution is your goal, it is my understanding that the 6H30P tube provides greater resolution than the 6SN7, so maybe a preamp like a Rogue Athena or Hera 2 would be an option.

Regardless, best of luck with your project and I hope you will post the results, especially regarding the resulting sound of your system.