Repair vintage NAD 3020

Need repairs on my vintage NAD 3020 Series 20.There is an ad on Ebay that specializes in repairs on this amp.Anyone know of this and could recommend this company or should I look elsewhere?Thanks for any help.
john421
Is the NAD 3020 that good that you are looking to fix something 30 years old rather than buy something new?
Well considering my pockets aren't as deep as most on this site,yes I like my little amp.For a $5 thrift store find it's hard to beat,and worked great up to a few weeks ago.I do feel it's worth having repaired.For about $200 I think its a fine option.
It's also a decision between a refurb/upgrade which the eBay site does, and a possible simple repair which could cost way less. The refurb/upgrade will change the sound.
The amp no longer powers on.Tried the fuses and looked for loose wiring but found none.Yes,I'd only want the repair.
It must be blown output transistor that local electronic repair shop will charge $40...50.
That would be a sigh of relief if that is the problem,Thanks.Using as a pre and its kinda hard listening to vinyl without a phono stage!
Using as a pre and its kinda hard listening to vinyl without a phono stage!
If using as a preamp, you should still be able to use the phono stage in the 3020. Also, to use as a preamp, you had to remove the jumpers between pre out and main in. Did you replace them to use the power stage of the 3020?
Well considering my pockets aren't as deep as most on this site,yes I like my little amp.For a $5 thrift store find it's hard to beat,and worked great up to a few weeks ago.I do feel it's worth having repaired.For about $200 I think its a fine option.
I can appreciate the dilemma of pockets not being deep. Many of us have been there from time to time. All the more reason to be wise with the money you do have.

So why spend $200 to repair an amp that can be routinely be bought used, in working condition, for around $140? This is not using your money wisely. Remember, vintage is fine if your technically inclined. That means doing the repairs yourself! But if you have to pay a shop $200, your $5 bargain suddenly becomes a real bad deal. Save your repair money until you can afford something new. For example, the Marantz PM5004 can now be bought for only $359 brand new. It has a greater power output than the NAD and a phono section too. Think about it.
Dump this junk ASAP!!
Given the age of the NAD(30+ yrs), and the number of electrolytics, in the phono section(etc); I have to agree with Paraneer. In order to recapture the original sound of a 3020, after all these years, every electrolytic cap in the unit should be replaced. That cost would be in addition to the not-powering-on repair(which would NOT be an output transistor). That could be as simple as the power switch or as drastic as the power transformer. What's the next component to fail, in a unit of that age?
If you are using it as a pre, what is your amp?
I keep a nad 7020 around as a spare. It went into one of my systems a year or two back when the preamp there died. It has served so well and sounded so surprisingly good that i keep failing to pull the trigger on something new to replace it and put it back on the bench. If it died however I am sure I would just move on.
Yes,I know about the jumpers.Using a vintage Hafler DH220 as my amp.
I would look for a Hafler or NAD pre. There are many for less than the refurb. Unless the repair is cheap which is possible but not likely. Like an old car.
Lot's of options,thanks for the advice.